Itching after nap and at night, please help!

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
Eastlake

by Eastlake on Wed May 27, 2020 3:03 pm

Itching after nap and at night, please help!

My 3 year old has had eczema since he was an infant. It is generally under control and although his skin is quite dry you don't see too many red bumps or sores on his skin. However, he is almost ALWAYS itchy when he wakes up from a nap, even though he wasn't itchy during the day and slept fine throughout the nap itself. After a while the itchiness will stop and he will be distracted, the problem is when it happens again in the middle of the night, or multiple times a night. He seems to be itchy all over his body, from his scalp to his feet but other than the itching there are no other signs. Has anyone else experienced this?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri May 29, 2020 11:41 am

Re: Itching after nap and at night, please help!

Hi Eastlake,

Sorry to hear about your son's eczema symptoms. Unfortunately we are unable to give specific medical advice on individual conditions here but we do have a support programme currently running specifically for children with eczema.

Please check out the link below where you can find details about the support programme:

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/support/eczema

Have you ever had your son tested for food sensitivities?

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:57 am

Hi!

It's quite common for kids to be scratching when they have nothing to do - often around naps and at night. My kid was scratching her head for years, just before bedtime. It's quite a bit of trial and error, but you can explore:
- check if there is scalp eczema -it's not so obvious, but you can try to see if there's flaky scalp that looks a bit different from other parts of scalp; if there is, you can consider a mild liquid steroid lotion like desonide
- sometimes, it could be fungus. There's a number of scalp shampoo
- changing up the baby shampoo brand (you can see what my kid has tried on my blog)
- changing up the bath time & humidity & temperature of room
- looking at possibility of dust mites, changing the pillow/bedsheet etc (wash with hot water)

Sometimes massaging the scalp helps the kid fall asleep more easily and sidestep the scratching.
I co-sleep for a few years to stop the night scratching promptly, so huge sacrifice.. lots of trial and error. When the kid is older, can also explore with the kid how to reduce the scratching.

hope something will work out, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Dermatalk

by Dermatalk on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:37 am

Sounds like you are dealing with exactly the same thing we are. So what ive noticed is the moisture when it evaporates causes the itching flare up. My son's own sweat aggravates his eczema so badly and for some reason when he sleeps his body feels so hot and sweaty. We try to keep him cool but its hard in the summer. Weve settled on Eucerine cream as it seems to help the most without starting itching. If it gets bad we go to the steroid to tame down hot spots. Even after his baths you have to pat him down quick and moisturize before he wrecks his skin. Sometimes we puts socks on his hands so we all can sleep. Weve eliminated most of his food allergies but gradually introducing the milder allergens to as he is tolerating more food now. His main allergies are egg and milk. Wheat and soy don't seem to bother him as much although we are seeing more body rashes lately not sure if its the heat or the allergens.

4 posts