Finding the cause

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
Nathanial Essex

by Nathanial Essex on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:32 pm

Finding the cause

Hi all

Sorry if I'm duplicating a topic here. My son is 3 and though he's previously had bouts of eczema, they've never been a huge concern and it's gone away with time. More recently however it's got to a point where it now covers the entirety of his chest, back and neck as well as being blotches on his inner thighs and around the pelvis.

He's scratching a lot at night. It's taking its toll me mentally as we sleep in the same room and he'll get up in the middle of the night. Yesterday, or today rather, he woke up around 1am and didn't go back to bed until 3am or so.

I've stopped giving him Mycroprotein, soy milk and changed his bed sheets to pure cotton. No immediate success yet.

Doctors have given various creams that haven't worked so have now given a steroid one. I am still however keen to find out what is causing the issue? Any tips around how I can narrow this down?

Much appreciated

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:43 am

Re: Finding the cause

Hi!

Allergy testing will be a good place to start; at least it would give you a direction on whether it is dust mite/ food/ mold/ pet/ pollen etc that you need to be aware of. Otherwise, unless it's a very consistent allergic flare-up, it's quite difficult to narrow it down as it could be a mix of environmental triggers vs intrinsic (no triggers) vs irritants (like sweat, but don't count as an allergen or products you use). If you can have access to allergy test and have that test properly evaluated by a dermatologist, that would be the more scientific way to go about narrowing triggers.

Take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Paulapip

by Paulapip on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:48 am

I feel exactly the same way, in fact just posted round about the same issue. My son is now 11, his eczema started when he was introduced to dairy when he was 6months old. We changed to Soya and that when the big issues started. With the help of Great Ormond street his eczema was maintained by the age of 4. He was put on a course of medication called Azathioprine. This was after years of prolonged use of Prednisolone, which really just covered the issue and gave him more medical side effects.
I’ve just joined this chat at is now 3am, my mental health is suffering.
The steps i’ve taken which may help are as followed
- cotton everything, pjs, bedding, bamboo/cotton mattresses protector, cool bamboo pillow case, cotton gloves. Anything with polyester is a no it doesn’t let the skin breath.
-In this dreadful heat my son has been sleeping with a frozen hot water bottle, a fan on him with cool ice water in a bowl beneath.
-what do you use to wash your child clothes? I’ve started using a eco egg and Surcare fabric conditioner. My sons clothes are drenched in Diprobase, so experimenting on now ways of washing his clothes. The only thing so far is his clothes don’t smell freshly washed as the Surcare has no perfume smell.
-Use Eumovate on the bad patches, then half hour later go over him with Diprobase. I also give him anti-allergy medication, Chlorphenamine Maleate, which can be prescribed via your doctor.
-I have referred myself to healthy minds as my mental Heath is suffering from the lack of sleep. Hoping talking to someone will help.
I’m waiting on a hospital referral for my son, I’m going to demand a allergy test. I think one of the big triggers is soya, we are trying our best at the moment on a soya free diet.
As a fellow parent of a child with eczema I understand how you feel. I can only hope things get better for you and your child

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 am

I use hypoallergenic detergent but washed it in a baby care cycle that takes about 1.5 hours to 2 hours, with water heated above 60 deg C to kill dust mites. I find that the cycle matters more than the type of detergent.. cos as my child gets older, we opted for normal detergent but keeps to a long cycle.
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

4 posts