Eczema herpeticum in 1 year old

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
Clare_234

by Clare_234 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:37 am

Eczema herpeticum in 1 year old

Hello,
My 14 month old was sent home from nursery with what looked like a flare up of his eczema and very high temp on Tuesday. It got worse quickly and we spent 8 hours in A&E yesterday.
He was diagnosed with moderate eczema herpeticum and we were sent home with antivirals and antibiotics. We have 24 hours to see if he improves or not and if not he’ll need to be admitted this evening. He seems a lot better in himself this morning but I’d say the rash is worse. It’s now weeping and raw.
I forgot to ask them about bathing him. I know it must be important to keep it as clean as possible but does anyone know if I’m ok to bath him as usual?
Sorry for the long post, the whole thing has been hugely upsetting and I don’t want to do anything to cause him more pain!
Thanks

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:07 pm

Re: Eczema herpeticum in 1 year old

As long as you don't use bubblebath or perfumed shower gels/the suchlike. You also want cold to warm water. And dab at your son's skin, rather than rubbing it when in the bath.

After his bath, gently dab your son with the right body cream. Don't dress him until it sinks in. Also: think about the washing detergent you use on your son's - and family's - clothes. You really want gentle washing detergent.

I do hope I've helped.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:16 am

Re: Eczema herpeticum in 1 year old

EH normally presents as an unexpected beginning emission of monomorphic vesicles and "finished off" disintegrations with hemorrhagic outside layers over eczematous regions.

3 posts