does eczema move to/from diff parts of body??

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
EczemaSux

by EczemaSux on Mon May 06, 2013 1:44 am

does eczema move to/from diff parts of body??

--- hi all! our 19-month-old has had eczema since he was an infant. it used to be all over his face and neck, and he'd itch it 'til it got infected... then we found out he has tree nut and dairy allergies. as we made dietary adjustments, it started getting better over time, and for the most part, he doesn't even notice the eczema or itch it (although it comes and goes).
--- as he approached 1-year old, we noticed that his legs would occasionally get patches of solid red (not little bumps) that'd come and go in addition to the occasional face rash.
--- as time went on, he would get the patches occasionally on his arms too.
--- within the last month, he has the same red patches on his legs, but he started getting these small red bumps all over his front and back torso... and his arms has a combination of the two. sometimes when we put lotions on his arms, it would burn and he'd cry. HOWEVER, his face is perfectly smooth now.
--- any ideas why he's developing eczema in new places and old places are now fine??
--- (fyi- we've always used everything-free detergent, soap, diaper, wipes, etc. for him. his PJs are the same fabric as before so nothing new there. it's warmer now and he's running around outside a lot more so perhaps that could be a trigger?? however, he used to crawl through the grass outside when younger, and never had this problem on his torso...)
--- thanks in advance everyone!!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon May 06, 2013 8:47 am

Re: does eczema move to/from diff parts of body??

Hi!

It is not uncommon for eczema to 'move' from one part of the skin to another, and the cause is not known. Heat can be a trigger, and triggers for eczema can be 'outgrown' or newly acquired as the skin and immunity changes. You can try to narrow down the triggers by taking allergy test, e.g. skin prick test.

Or continue to moisturize before contact with possible irritants to the skin, may have some protective effect.

My toddler has eczema, and though we live in Singapore, her eczema definitely worsened when days are hotter than the usual hot.

Take care,
mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: does eczema move to/from diff parts of body??

Both of my children have eczema. my son suffers all over, my daughter has different areas that flare at different times. there seems to be little or no logic to eczema
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

4 posts