eczema and tummy time

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
sonisf80

by sonisf80 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:35 pm

eczema and tummy time

HI There,

First time I'm posting here.
I have searched everywhere on the web for answers but didn't find anything, so I need your help!
I have a wonderful 6 months old boy who is VERY active. Sadly for him he has eczema especially on his face and spends his whole time scratching. I have to put hydrocortisone on his face and even if his skin looks really good, he is still scratching a lot
He loves to sit and he learned to roll over and now he wants to crawl. He is very good with his legs going under his body to push but he didn't figure that he has to lift his body in order to move forward. Instead he is burying his face on the mat and scratching his face constantly. That makes me so sad because he is not learning and because he gets really frustrated with the situation. Once he starts scratching it's over, he can't focus on anything else, that drives me crazy!
I want to let him doing tummy time because I know it is very important for his development and I want him to build strong muscles , but it is so hard!

Any similar experience and tips for us? THANKS:

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 am

Re: eczema and tummy time

Hi there!

I haven't had such experience but I'm guessing is could be feeling itchy, that's why rubbing face on mat. Mine used to rub neck against anything, including metal parts. There are some crawling mats for babies which are soft and have a prop up pillow at the chest, so maybe that'd help. Be sure not to use wet wipes to clean the face, instead lukewarm cooled boiled water (my guess) on cotton pad to clean off saliva. No more than twice a day and check with your doc on the duration suitable for your child on hydrocortisone use.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Shannon1

by Shannon1 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:12 am

Hello

Definitely due to itching. The skin needs be kept moist. You can try olive oil on his skin. When he gets out of the tub be sure to oil him again. I used Grahams Natural Alternative products on my daughter because I really didnt want anything that was not natural. It might also help if he lays on something natural, like a cotton or bamboo blanket or sheet as some materials can really irritate the skin. Best of luck and I hope he outgrows this horrible condition.

Shannon

boodoowaa

by boodoowaa on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:39 am

I have a 3.5 year old and he has had eczema since he was around 6 months. Things gradually got worse. By the time he was almost 3, his whole body was red. It was terrible. We couldn't sleep at night because he would wake up in the middle of the night scratching and this was happening every night. He was getting cuts from scratching. We tried everything. Tried every advise from doctors to website forums but did not help. Out of nowhere, a mom advised us to get a food allergy test done to our child. We took her advice and after getting the allergy results back, we found out that he is allergic to dairy, egg, extremely allergic to garlic, gluten, and many other food, etc... We immediately removed all the foods that he is allergic to. After a month or so, his body was not red anymore!!. His eczema is still there but his redness is gone. He is not scratching anymore and can sleep through the whole night. Although an allergy test might be expensive but in the long run, it is well worth it.

4 posts