why wont they listen.

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

10 posts
sbird

by sbird on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 pm

why wont they listen.

My 5 year old has aptopic eczema which seems to be getting worse, her fingers are so bad know that she cannot bend them and has begun to stop useing one hand. I am sick and tired of going to the doctors and being told try this different cream or just putting her on a different antibiotic then saying see you 2 weeks. What i do not understand, when she has a flare up all the cream,and cortizon's we use and bath oil's seem to make it better but nothing we try on her fingers just does not make a difference, it has got to a point know that her nail bed is exposed as they are so swollen. why wont they refer to the hospital?????? :( We have done everything to changing her bedding, washing liquids, cotton clothing, emoilents 3-4 times a day i am at my wits end.

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Re: why wont they listen.

Hi - things sound pretty bad for you and your daughter. I'm so sorry you feel alone and frustrated with lack of support. Hopefully our eczema community will be able to support you.

I think you should repeatedly request a referal to hospital as it sounds like you're not getting the condition under control where needed by your doctor. Also, take a look at http://www.myhandeczema.co.uk - this is a great website that may help.

Does your daughter wear gloves at night? If you apply the creams and a good moisturiser, this may help ...

Try not to lose hope - I know it's difficult. I hope some of our members can also provide you with some help and guideance.

Best wishes
Deborah Mason
talkhealth founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm

If the doctor will not refer her to the hospital you can take her to A&E. We did this with my ds when we were waiting for a referal. My son was 10 months old at the time and eczema was ruining his life. He was not able to sit still long enough to eat properly, he was not sleeping for more than a couple of hours per night and all he did through day was try and scratch. He was not interested in playing as he was just to incredibly itchy. I feel the doctor is putting your daughter through hell by not refering her so you certainly have the right to get her help anyway that is possible.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:05 pm

I totally agree, we were refused a referal for over a year. Then finally we went to the out of hrs GP at 3am. The next working day we went to the GP and got an instant referal. It was criminal that we had to fight so long. Everyone has the right to be refered. Take someone with you to your next apointment and carefully pick your GP. Tell them you cannot go on like this which is the truth. Make an appointment this week and let us know how you get on. The wrong or too weak a treatment, the longer it goes on means the eczema will get thicker and harder to treat. So fight for your rights. Good luck Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

sbird

by sbird on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Thank you all for your replies we have had an appointment with the dermatologists which was an emergancy so we are know on the system. I am having to wet rap my daughter every day on her arms and legs and one of her hands. This does seem to bo helping but she is now having problems with one girl at her school due to nasty comments. We have another appointment on tuesday with her consultant so will let you know how we get on.

Many thanks sally. xx

mylilmen

by mylilmen on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:15 pm

you and i sound like we are in the same boat with our kiddos. My sons eczema is all over his hands as well, not as bad as you have described but pretty close. his is now spreading from his hands up to his arms and even spreading to his shoulders and torso now. How are you able to keep her hands wraped? i can't get my 3 year to keep his hands wraped so the cream and ointments have time to set in. He keeps telling me his hands are better just so he won't have to suffer through the pain of the lotions and creams and ointments. cortazone is out of the picture, that stuff burns and doesn't do anything for him. what else have you done for your daughter?

sbird

by sbird on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

I am glad in a way that you are having same problems as we are. My daughter has wet wraps then i got skinnie gloves from the doctors which keeps everything into place but as soon as we dont use them the eczema just returns. The wet wraps do work as they give her skin a break but she is becoming so self concious that she wont wear them to school. We have appt with the dermatologist on tuesday so i wont some answers to my questions and allergy testing as i cannot understand why it is getting worse and all the creams dont seem to have an affect on it. Good luck. x

yorkie2703

by yorkie2703 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:57 am

Hi
You sound just like what we are going through what we are. My Daugther has the same problem and like you I am struggling. At least I know now that I am not alone. Fiona

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:23 pm

sbird
How did the app go at the dermatologist?? Hope you got some answers.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

MooMoo

by MooMoo on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:10 pm

I have a two year old with very bad eczema all over, especially over his face and torso. Getting so frustrated with doctors who just keep giving me stronger steroid creams which work when i use them but when i give him a break from them his skin comes back just as bad. Instead I have been taking a different approach and taking him to a herbalist. He seems more keen on finding the root cause of the problem, he keeps assuring me that the eczema is just a symptom of a severe alllergy to something and that no treatment will work until we find this. Its a slow process but I feel that he is way more understanding than the doctors who dismiss this herbalist's views, and yet they can not help me. Anyway we are currently thinking that my son's problem could be caused by a severe allergy to pollen, as I say its a very long process but if it yields results....
Anyway because he is only treating him using natural herbal products they can be used in conjunction with regular medicine, so something is bound to work...eventually.

10 posts