3 Year Old -just developed eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

9 posts
Becky Dennis

by Becky Dennis on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:58 am

3 Year Old -just developed eczema

Hello. I'm a newbie.
My daughter has just been diagnosed with eczema. It started as what looked like chicken pox on her back. Then she developed angry hive type blotches all over her body. Then the crook of elbow, back of knee and neck went really red and angry. She has had 2 types of steroid cream. Eumavate and Betnovate. Double Base, Aqueous bath cream and at the moment we're using Cetraben. I think she might be allergic to it. As she is coming out in more and more pimples (looks like measles with white head in the middle) over her entire body. Even her genitals now. She has scratched her arms until they have bled. I just don't know what to do.
I have now stopped the emollient but her skin does feel so dry. But i thought if she's allergic i shouldn't continue. The extra problem is that we're in America for 6 weeks but i'm considering coming back as i just don't know what to do (i only have cetraben and eumovate with me). I have covered her in olive oil tonight.... Does that help? I feel like i keep trying all these different things with no effect and i worry that i am doing more harm than good. Can you just leave it to hope it will go away on its own? Does the skin become dependent on the emollient?
I must admit i feel lost and the poor wee mite lies on the carpet and wriggles around to scratch her back and body. I give piriton at night to help..but don't know if i should be giving that too frequently.
I really would value anyone's help or advice. The strange thing is up until 6 weeks ago she had never had eczema in her life. Can it come on so quickly? She has had several episodes of viral wheeze in the last 6 months (like asthma attacks). I get hayfever but not asthma or eczema.
Thanks for reading.
Bec

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: 3 Year Old -just developed eczema

Hi Bec, it really sounds like your daughter is struggling. Cetraben is a good emollient although nothing will work if allergic to it. The spots you refer to are they like spots a teenager may get with a yellow head that looks like they could be squeezed??? If yes that sounds like foliculitus where the skin pores are bloked and infected. A few may go, if in a small area then antibiotic creams can be used but if wide spread then oralantibiotics are used. Use the steroids everyday for upto 2 weeks to gain control and use the Cetraben or other emolient at least twice a day. Always remember to only ever apply creams in downward strokes head to toe and only pat dry don't rub. Are you using a non-biological washing powder? Avoide fabric conditioner and think what else has changed around the time the eczema started. Try to keep her cool and only ever wear cotton, linen or silk. Also washing at 60degrees kills of the house dust mite, something which both of my children are allergic to. I hope this site offers you strength to keep on your travels. Keep in touch as there will be plenty of advice here for you. Good luck Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Becky Dennis

by Becky Dennis on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:03 am

Hi Anna

Thank you so much for your reply. It means a lot as i have found this quite a lonely struggle.
Yes the pimples are like white heads all over her body (she did have some fluclox before she came out here and i have some more i can make up if need be).
We went to see a dr out here today who recommended some other over the counter moisturisers. They don't seem as heavy duty as our emollients back home. They don't seem to do eczema cream on prescription. So he recommended calendula, aveeno and cerave. So i will try them out and see how she goes...
I am using ecover non bio and no fabric softener. She went in a swimming pool and hot tub and i wonder if that has made it worse. so no pool now or hot water. But i wondered if going in the sea might help?
Her skin does look awful, angry, sore and dry. I feel like i am failing her by not getting on top of it.
Thanks again. I hope your childrens eczema is under control. And hope that soon we will have a manageable routine for her/no more eczema....
becky

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi

Did the antibiotics make any difference?? Trust your gut feeling if you need to use the 2nd lot, sounds a good supportive medical team you have at home to give you antibiotics for your trip.

Aveeno is the only name I know althogh we have never tried it. I always tried new creams on one leg only to see if it made any difference good or bad to my childrens skin.

I'd say the hot tub may not be a good idea so would support your idea of avoiding it. Also many use salt baths after the positive result of the sea so good luck and happy swimming.

Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Is there anyone in America who can offer advice on what is good treatment/creams for eczema please.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

Becky Dennis

by Becky Dennis on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:42 am

Hi Anna

Maybe the antibiotics calmed it a bit...although i'm not entirely sure they did. I think i just haven't been moisturising enough. although now i realise how much i'm meant to be moisturising i'm getting right onto it! It's a real learning curve.

Thanks again so much for your kindness. it means an awful lot to know that there is support out there. So thank you.

love Becky

EMozley

by EMozley on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi! I am a newbie looking through posts and came across this thread. I am in America with a 5 year old daughter who suffers from eczema. The emollient we use most is Aquaphor and Eucerin cream in the tub. Another good one is Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema Cream. The creams you listed, Cerave and Avenno, are more lotion based (contain alcohol) and always sting my daughter, especially when she is flaring. Also, bleach baths once or twice a week are something commonly recommended to help control bacteria on the skin, similar to a swimming pool (always rinse off after). I would definitely avoid the hot tubs, bacteria! My daughter frequently gets staph infections on her legs, which look like pimples. When these breakout, we have to do a round of antibiotics.

Good luck as I am sure I am replying too late to your inquiry!

qualitee68

by qualitee68 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 pm

My 8 year old has done this for the last two winters. We use Aquaphor or Eucerin and it helps. When it gets really bad her doctor has given me a steriod that you mix in the Aquaphor and he says it is fine to use on a regular basis. Also what helps is making sure they do not use alot of alcohol based hand santizer

DrMariano

by DrMariano on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that your daughter has been suffering so badly.

Eczema never comes without a reason. The body, for some reason, builds up toxins from food or allergic reactions to food, and the skin represents the final barrier. To really understand the reasons, I recommend you also look at the food your daughter is eating, and whether there has been any significant emotional stress in her recent past. Look at both these areas, and possibly consider an exclusion diet to identify any possible source of allergy or sensitivity. I usually recommend excluding dairy produce first.

In the instance of infected areas, first try natural organic products, with Tea Tree Oil and Propolis, as these are natural antibiotics.

Good luck!

9 posts