menopause and contraception

Our experts are here to answer your questions and concerns regarding the onset of menopause and how this may affect your fertility and use of contraception.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
magicerm

by magicerm on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 pm

menopause and contraception

Hi

I am 52 and recent blood test says not menopausal. I take Micronor and have done for the past 3 yrs or so could this mask the menopause? I have no real symptoms but this last 2 cycles the bleed has been longer and my vagina seems dryer and a bit sore.

I thought I had to remain on contraception for 2 yrs after the last period but how will I know. Have had various advice all different and am now confused. Is it ok to continue with Micronor should I change to another form of contraception and if so what would you advise. FP clinic nurse one suggested sterilisation which I thought was a bit drastic at my age,

Thank you for your help

Erm

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: menopause and contraception

Micronor might stop your periods as a proportion of women do not produce eggs when taking this progesterone only pill. This would make it more difficult to know when your last natural period would have been. It will however neither alter the timing of when you have no eggs left nor mask the symptoms of menopause. If your blood test is normal you should continue to take the pills. My advice is to continue for one year after two blood tests 6 weeks apart are both raised and we can be reasonably certain that you will not release any more eggs and are considered infertile.
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Re: menopause and contraception

Hi - firstly the micronor can affect your bloodtest results, making them unreliable.
I also think that spontaneous conception is highly unlikely at 52 - but you do not want to be the unlucky woman! What about changing to a mirena coil, and then if you do get hot fluches or the dryness is worrying you you could take estrogen patches?
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

3 posts