Heavy periods and anaemia

If you suffer with heavy and/or painful periods and have questions about this relating to fertility and/or contraception, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Heavy periods and anaemia

Hi,I have been having quite heavy periods for the last two years.I had a d and c and my period came back as heavy as ever.I tried a progesterone tablet initially and had very bad side effects.I then went on tranexamic acid which is great as I have no side effects and has greatly reduced the flow.However my iron levels have become very low despite this and taking supplements .The pill is being touted as my only option but I am very reluctant to try anything hormonal as my hormone levels have tested fine.What would the best options be for this with the least side effects as I could do without the stress?.Thank You.

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Heavy periods and anaemia

There are a number of options available to you and these are explained in an information sheet on Heavy Menstrual Bleeding produced by NICE in which all the options are explained. While your own hormone levels may be normal there are a number of hormone containing options that work by affecting the control mechanisms to bleeding. These are very complex. If the tablets you took were the high dose ones then it is not so unusal to feel bloated or moody. There are other options and one of the best is to stabilise the lining of the womb with a hormone loaded coil. This works locally and has very little effect on your system. It does however reduce blood loss by 80-90% which is as good as some of the surgical options. A D+C does not work to reduce periods at all.
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 am

Re: Heavy periods and anaemia

Agree entirely - perhaps also have a trans-vaginal scan as well to outrule any obvious cause such as fibroids or polyps, and make sure your smears are up to date!
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

3 posts