Pompholyx

If you have questions about living with and managing eczema and dermatitis, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
chan1986

by chan1986 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm

Pompholyx

Hello, Thank you for reading.

I was diagnosed with Pompholyx eczema at the start of this year by a dermatologist (after a good year and a half with no diagnosis from GP)

I have it on my right hand (which seems great at the moment) but i also have it on my left foot, which is my biggest problem. I dont drive and walk everywhere and im on my feet in my job. My foot is constantly cracked and bleeding and so painful to walk on. Im dreading the winter as thats when its worse. Ive been prescribed Elocon steriod cream, but i dont wont to use that all the time.

Any suggestions with getting my foot comfortable to walk on please.

Charlotte :D

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 am

Re: Pompholyx

Hello Charlotte,

you need to sort out your eczema really. You may need a more potent steroid for the time being such as dermovate and then maintain response with elocon. You will also need plenty of very greasy moisturizers such as emulsifying ontment (do not use it straight before or after dermovate/elocon!).

if it fails - topical phototherapy (PUVA) may work well, and the next step would be tabltes such as alitretinoin/Toctino.

with bw
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

ckbridgett

by ckbridgett on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 am

Good morning Charlotte!
In addition to the advice from Dr Alexandroff, if eczema has persisted for longer than a couple of weeks and you are scratching and rubbing it on a regular basis, the trauma of this behaviour could also be contributing to the problem.
Whenever skin is rubbed and scratched repeatedly for long enough there is a reaction that looks just like chronic eczema. Under these circumstances topical treatment for eczema can be disappointing until it is combined with something to counter the scratching - habit reversal is recommended. As I have mentioned in a post elsewhere this morning, habit reversal is possible to learn as a self-help technique, though there are some Dermatology clinics that now offer the treatment.
All the best
DrB
Dr Christopher Bridgett
Consultant Psychiatrist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... idgett.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Charlotte,

I can sympathise with you as I have had pompholyx myself in the past and know how itchy and sore it can be. As well as using the steroid cream I recommend that you try the following to help treat the condition and prevent it fom recurring:

Protect your skin; check whether your hands and feet are coming into contact with some sort of irritant e.g. the perfume in your shower gel/handwash. If you think this might be the case, try using aqueous cream to wash with instead. This will also help to preserve your skin's natural barrier and protect it from irritants.

Treat your condition from the inside; eat plenty of foods containing omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids - such as oily fish (pilchards, sardines, mackerel, salmon), nuts, seeds and flaxseed and olive oils. You might also consider taking a supplement such as evening primrose oil, or fish oils, which may also help.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

chan1986

by chan1986 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Many Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply with some really informative information and advice. I really appreciate your time and expertise. :D
Regards Charlotte

6 posts