ezcema spread

If you have questions about living with and managing eczema and dermatitis, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
lamut

by lamut on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 am

ezcema spread

Hi,

I have atopic ezcema, diagnosed by my one time visit to a dermatologist. I have always suffered from ezcema and am now 27 (female), however in the last two years my ezcema has spread from just my part of my right hand and under arms to the whole of my torso, my legs, arms, back and now the whole of my right hand which is the most severly affected. I had a patch test which showed no sign of allergy but the pen and plaster they used brought me out in ezcema which 2 months later i still haven't managed to get under control. I also get it under my eyes which I am not sure how to deal with.

I use aveeno cream, dermol, eumovate and fluticasone, i previously used fucibet but under the dermatolgists guide changed to fluticasone. I haven't managed to gain control of the ezcema for a long time and in fact only find it is spreading further and further. I am an itchy nightmare. I sometimes wake myself up scratching although my nails are cut down to nothing at all times.

I have heard acupuncture can work? Is it time to be looking more complementary? I feel i am stuck in the itch scratch cycle and recognised when i get stressed i itch. I also have a vit b12 deficiency that runs in the family - could it be worth getting checked for this?

Are there options still for me?
Many thanks
sarah

ckbridgett

by ckbridgett on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

Re: ezcema spread

Good morning!
I am sorry to hear about your difficulties, but atopic eczema can become longstanding or chronic, and resistant to treatment with moisturiser and topical steroid (you are using both) if one is caught in the itch-scratch-cycle.
You mention also stress and itching: that is also a common problem - sometimes it is stress and scratching, so there can be stress-scratch-stress cycle.
We have discovered that the scratching with chronic eczema also becomes at least partly a habit - we can do it automatically, without thinking, when stressed, or tired, or bored for example. Not all scratching is due to itch.
I think it is worth you finding out about habit reversal, the treatment for habitual scratching, and The Combined Approach to atopic eczema. There is a little book called "The Eczema Solution" that guides you through this approach: see http://www.atopicskindisease.com/articl ... ermatology
I hope that helps!
Last edited by ckbridgett on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Christopher Bridgett
Consultant Psychiatrist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... idgett.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi Sarah,

I suffer from atopic eczema myself, so I can sympathise with you.

Research suggests that some eczema sufferers have a deficiency in Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids. These are anti-inflammatory and also help to moisturise your skin from the inside. You can ensure you get enough omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids by eating oily fish (pilchards, sardines, mackerel, salmon), nuts, seeds and flaxseed and olive oils. You might also consider taking evening primrose oil and fish oil supplements. I have found these very beneficial - in fact when I stop taking them my eczema returns.

I would also check whether stress triggers your eczema flare-ups. If you think it does, take steps to manage your stress levels. Avoid trying to do too much, try to exercise regularly and take time out for yourself whenever you can. You might also find having a regular massage and practising deep breathing exercises relaxing too.

I hope these tips help you,

Best wishes,

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Good evening!

In addition, I would suggest to check with your dermatologist whether it would be useful to do allergy testing (patch testing) to make sure you have not developed skin allergy (allergic contact dermatitis) to exogenous chemicals you may come in contact with in household products or at work (such as fragrances, preservatives and so on). It is also worth considering UVB phototherapy.

with best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

4 posts