Yeast Creams/Pill for Eczema

If you have questions about living with and managing eczema and dermatitis, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
heatherkmcmahan

by heatherkmcmahan on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 am

Yeast Creams/Pill for Eczema

Hello friends and fellow eczema sufferers. I have had eczema since birth and have literally been through it all trying to get my skin under control. I am 25 now and moved back to my hometown Atlanta. This summer my skin took a turn for the worst and went WILD!. Not only do I have uncontrolable itching, oozing rashes all over my body. I also have those dreaded white spots. After starting a steroid cream treatment and a yeast cream treatment from my dermatologists my eczema still hasnt gotten better. I have now started takign the actual Pill for a yeast infection in hopes that it will cure from the inside out, seeing as my derm said in the summer eczema can get really bad due to a yeast on the skin that dr.'s are unsure of its origins. Anyways, my point is.... I just finished the antibitotics today and they havent worked. I suppose it takes a while to work its way through the body, but my Derm now wasnts to put me on an Oral Steroid treatment and I feel like Steroids are just TERRIBLE FOR YOU. Has anyone had any luckwith them or take anyhting for the yeast issue related to eczema?
* Also I had a full skin test and blood test and nothing showed up foodwise. However I have been trying to stay off dairy and wheat, but I have been told I wont see any real results unless I stay off those foods strictly for at least 6 weeks. If anyone has ANY help or advice at all about further treatments please contact me. I am a 25 year old actress who is at her wits ends because my skin is so bad it is starting to effect my career! I have sympathy and empathy for all fellow eczema sufferers and Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks so much- HEATHER

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Yeast Creams/Pill for Eczema

Hello Heather,

I sometimes give a short course of oral steroids, as an exemption, for eczema. Usually I manage eczema with topical steroids, or protopic (tacrolimus), or elidel (pimecrolimus) or steroid sparing oral medications (azathioprine, methotrexate, ciclosporin). Anti-yeast treatments can be used for seborrheic eczema and it may sometimes work for atopic eczema too. It depends really on examination by your dermatologist. I agree with my collegue that patch testing sometimes can be very useful in difficult to control eczema. And if your dermatologist suggests oral steroids it may be worth asking about steroid -sparing oral medications for eczema. Minority of my patients are taking these but they can really be life changing.

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff MRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Dermat) FSRM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist
BMI Bedford Hospital , Spire Leicester Hospital, Nuffield Health Leicester Hospital
The University Hospitals of Leicester
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

3 posts