how do you stop scratching.?

If you have questions about living with and managing eczema and dermatitis, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

15 posts
treblekoi

by treblekoi on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: how do you stop scratching.?

I had patches of dry and irriatated skin on my arms and legs, and when I started scratching I couldn't stop and the affected areas got worse! I'd tried various skin creams but none of them seemed to make any difference, and my skin got gradually worse. I searched the internet and came across Dermacura Intensive spray which had fantastic reviews so I thought I'd try it. Its been amazing! I applied it twice a day and after a week I could see a massive difference, the irritated patches of skin were shrinking and I can't remember the last time that I felt the urge to scratch! Several months later and my skin is under control, I no longer use the spray twice a day........more like twice a week but its still keeping the dry skin away! Thank you Dermacura!!!!!

becky3013

by becky3013 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:35 pm

I am 29 and have had eczema forever-i scratch all the time and some of it is out of pure habit! I agree with missraven about the nails-i recently had my nails done for the first time-they are natural nails with white tips put on-they look glossy and sophisticated, and the best thing is, you cant damage yourself when you scratch! I noticed improvements within just 2 days in the overall condition of my skin. It also helps stop the itch-scratch cycle-scratching is no longer very satisfying so you will soon learn to stop, and in turn the itching will reduce. Would recommend this to everyone! B x

sunny81

by sunny81 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Im afraid that solution is limited to females and well some men.. Im just happy the boys have their toys :D PS3 !!
Sunny81

ckbridgett

by ckbridgett on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Scratching easily becomes a habit, and when it does it is often provoked by factors other than itch. At http://www.atopicskindisease.com/articles/PeterNoren Swedish Dermatologist Dr Peter Norén gives an account how a behaviour modification technique called habit reversal was introduced in the 1980s at his hospital in Uppsala, and revolutionised the treatment of chronic atopic eczema. It is now incorporated with optimal topical treatment into a programme called The Combined Approach - now more and more people are discovering both "how to stop scratching", and also how to live without eczema - perhaps even more important!
Dr Christopher Bridgett
Consultant Psychiatrist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... idgett.php

1957rosemaryking

by 1957rosemaryking on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Had just had the worst time since june. I was born with eczema and developed asthma when I was 2. I'm 54, menopausal and a bit stressed! Husband retiring and my daughter going to work in America. I was offered Ciclosporin last friday but was unsure of such a big step. In 5 days I have sorted the scratch/itch cycle by using wet wraps. I had 2 tubifast vests and leggings prescribed by my doctor and white soft parrafin and a steroid cream. Dampen the tubifast garments and put them on top of the smeared cream I have not itched for 4 days and my problem has disappeared. My sister swears by this wet wrap process as her 8 year old daughter suffers badly and I had withstood her experiences. Not any more!

15 posts