how do you stop scratching.?

If you have questions about living with and managing eczema and dermatitis, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

15 posts
sad-sack

by sad-sack on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 am

how do you stop scratching.?

i just cant stop scratching it is really disgusting i do it in my sleep... while i watch tv, when i eat, get changes, use the loo, all the time and i dont even know it till i bleed or look at my nails filled with skin and blood

EczemaAndProud

by EczemaAndProud on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: how do you stop scratching.?

I want to share a technique with this forum that I have discovered.

I have been suffering alot for 6 years. I know that if I move to a sunny country it will mostly go, but until I can afford that, I'm stuck here in the UK...

My technique is for sleeping (often the worst time for damaging scratching). I am fully addicted to scratching and get the most amazing stress relief and general good feeling from scratching. This, plus I am a very anxious highly strung person means that scratching seems almost impossible to stop.

Here it is:

I use electrical tape (quite thick rubbery texture) to literally tape up each individual finger on both hands. At first I would slowly peel them off in my sleep and wake up with tape all over my bed. However, I was convinced this was a good technique so I persisted in laboriously taping my fingers at night. I am 2 weeks in and can now sleep all night with the tape on. I do still scratch, but without nails I am not damaging and infecting my skin to the same level. I would say this has improved my skin by about 3 to 4 times so far (still working on day time scratching)

My plan is to keep doing this until I don't scratch at all. I will then tape up only 4 fingers, then 3 etc...

I wanted to share this because I'm half way through my "plan" and it seems to be working

Anyone else tried this?

Missraven

by Missraven on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:26 am

I have had eczema since birth and am now 34. Like the poster I will scratch in my sleep and throughout the day. My eczema is particulary bad on my hands. They looked dreadful. Thick,wrinkled skin, blisters, scabs etc. Last Saturday I had false nails applied because I decided that if my hands looked shocking at least I could have pretty nails. One week later my eczema has virtually cleared up. This isn't to say it doesn't itch. It does, and I still scratch. However, these nails are thicker and blunter than my own nails and are not doing as much damage. I am amazed. Colleagues have commented on the difference. It is worth noting that various Internet sources suggest that acrylic nails and the glue used with them can exacerbate eczema. This may be the case for some people. I dont know. However, if my eczema continues to improve at this rate I will continue to wear acrylic nails!

sunny81

by sunny81 on Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Games games games!!

Consoles n games have always been frowned upon.

Im 30years old, have ha eczema all my life; if theres one thing that stops me scratching is playing my ps3!

It not only keeps my hands busy but also keeps the mind occupied.

For parents with kids, i do recommend you let your kids play computer games if it stops them scratching, just ensure they have reg breaks lile every half hour... Have half hour of homework maybe? Id recommend to spend as much time as possible with them while they study. Can almost guarantee that if the game they play is one they like; you can walk away and need not worry about them scratching :)
    Sunny81

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue May 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Games games games!!

I couldn't agree more. My son can sit for hrs on his DSi but to read a book I have to physically hold his hands still. Both my children benefit from the rare times they get 1:1 attention to keep them busy.
    AnnaB
    Forum Moderator
    talkhealth moderation team

shazofscunny

by shazofscunny on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:18 am

hi i'm 35 and have had eczema all my live and as the post b4 say i can't stop scratching my legs are scarred and i'm having to wear long trousers to cover up, its hot and i should be in shorts. i find myself sitting in public places and scratching then realising people are watching me. I was using antihisamines but as i'm now pregnant I've had to stop and i'm finding it hard my legs and feet hands and arms are bloody and sore. anyone know anything that will help and that i'm allowed to use during pregnancy ??/ :cry:

sad-sack

by sad-sack on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:33 am

:lol: :lol: hello eczemaandproud
    thanks for the tape idea i tired it but was still scratching but it was a lot better .. it really works but then i woke up decided to take the tape off and change out of my pjs, so i am semi undressed then what did i do ..well stupidly i scratch the hell out of myself and didnt realise it till it was too late. they shoudl invent invisible tape for the day time
    i will try the nails next but i am on light therapy also know as phototherapy or uvb now so hopfully my skin should stop itching ....i am not to sure if you can go on this treatment if your pregnant but could be woth asking your gp about it

sad-sack

by sad-sack on Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:36 am

hello shazofscunny
    you need to chat with your gp as some antihistamines you can take while your pregnant there are 1st generation and 2nd generation antihistamines, i am not too sure which ones but you should ask your gp or any quallified pharmacist.. take care and good luck with the pregnancy

mistyang

by mistyang on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:03 pm

My husband shouts at me "stop scratching" frequently which I admit gets on my nerves. I am 57 and have really dry patches on my arms and I tend to rub and scratch as I am really trying to make it go away as I am self conscious about the appearance on my arms. My legs, I keep them covered I wear trousers or really long skirts.

sunny81

by sunny81 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:09 pm

its hard but this is best thing...again u need some control for it to work ...

when your about to scratch, PAUSE just for 10 secs, in that time apply moisturiser (I use Aveeno)..

either that or antihistamines..
    Sunny81

15 posts