Seborrheic Keratosis.

If you have general questions about a skin condition that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
dmnlgc

by dmnlgc on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:41 pm

Seborrheic Keratosis.

Hi,

I have what I believe to be a Seborrheic Keratosis lesion on my forehead (it appears quite superficial - almost stuck on and now wobbles when I touch it). It has been growing steadily over a period of about 9 months and is now large enough to catch on clothing which has caused bleeding (alas my job requires me to wear a hair net which is getting very annoying). Several trips to the GP have been unproductive as my GP politely explains that removal can only be performed as a private patient. I inquired about costs for this and have been told that an initial consulation would be in the region of £250 and the remove of the lesion by cryotherapy or surgery could be £700 pounds plus.

Reading online, it would appear that cryotherapy is a relatively simple treatment and certain skin care clinics offer this service considerably cheaper (although some that I have approached are reluctant to deal with a lesion on the face). I would be interested in asking your experts whether there is a simple solution (or even a home remedy) that could be attempted. I don't want to put myself or my forehead at risk, but facing costs of nearly 1000 pounds is rather scary and it is very difficult to obtain information, since the NHS can't help me. It's causing me considerable embarrassment but unfortunately my current financial situation necessitates a more economic solution.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice that your experts can provide

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 pm

Re: Seborrheic Keratosis.

Hello,

First of all, I would have another chat with your GP. Although cosmetic procedures are not done on NHS, if lesions catch or bleed, they tend to be removed on NHS (though it may depend on local funding arrangements).

Talking about private treatment London I am afraid tends to be more expensive. In general if you have surgery done hospital fees kick in (on top of Dermatologist fees), and make anything more expensive (by about 300-700 depending on whether a sample is sent off for histology [examination under microscope], which is generally recommended). However, if it is cryotherapy alone, hospital /histology fees do not tend to apply and it usually makes it significantly cheaper, and can be done during your first visit to dermatologist.

I hope this helpful.
With best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultan Dermatologist
Bedford and Leicester
http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

3 posts