Rosacea - treatment

If you have questions about rosacea please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
MorrisH

by MorrisH on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Rosacea - treatment

I have had rosacea for at least 3 years, it started off with having hot flushes and looking very hot, now i have red spots that sometimes get infected. I feel there isnt enough information or treatment for it. It really gets me down, I have never had a skin problem, even as a teenager my skin was great. I have been to my doctors many times, and they seem reluctant to refer me, I have been on anti biotics and Rozex cream, these make a slight difference. Is this a skin problem i will have all my life? Is there any other products or treatment i could try?

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 am

Re: Rosacea - treatment

Hello MorrisH,

rosacea can last long time but is ultimately self limiting.

antibiotics (with or without rozex) need to be taken for long time - months at a time, they help with spots. Try to have a diary to note what triggers flushing and try to avoid triggers. There is no good treatment at present for flushing but a new product which works well is expected to be on the market within a year or two (it's currently in development)

I hope this helps

Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist
Bedford and Leicester
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

MorrisH

by MorrisH on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Thank you for your response

It is reasuring to know that there is research being conducted for treatments for rosacea.

As me and my husband are trying for another child, my GP has told me its best not taking the antibiotics at the moment, the rozex just seems to calm it down slightly. My GP presribed Berylx Proxide (sorry if spelt wrong) I dont feel this is the best treatment for rosacea. I dont get the flushing as much any more, it seems to be when i have been out in direct sunlight, even with factor 50 i still flush (feels like a burning sensation). Currently the main issue is the red spots on my upper cheeks, just hope once i can get on the anti biotics for a long time it goes away!

Thanks Again
Hayley

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:44 am

Dear Hayley,

it might be best without treatment while you trying for a child, although Erythromycin appears to be safe in pregnancy.

I would suggest just sun protection with factor 50 and identify/avoid other triggers of flushing if you can.

with best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist
Bedford and Leicester
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

4 posts