itchy and flaky ear lobes!

If you have any questions about unexplained rashes, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
haveaquestion

by haveaquestion on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:46 am

itchy and flaky ear lobes!

Hi,

For thew last couple of weeks I have been having itchy ear lobes (on the outer edge) and when i scratch it, it has now caused skin lesions and the skin there has gone very dry and flaky..... this is very evident especially on the ear lobe helix and lobule and behind the ear

while this started on just one ear lobe, now I can feel the traces of it appearing on the other ear lobe as well and am a little worried as just today i see something similar on the skin of outer nostril.

Can u tell me if i need to rush to the doctor or if i can treat it at home with some OTC creams?

R

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: itchy and flaky ear lobes!

Hello,

it sounds suspicious of contact allergy (allergic contact dermatitis - see my other posts). Are you wearing earrings by chance? Do you dye your hair?
alternatively this could be eczema which comes from inside (atopic or seborrheic) or psoriasis.
I would recomend to see your doctor or a dermatologist to get a correct diagnosis and treatment.

with best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff MRCP(UK) PhD FSRM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist
Bedford and Leicester
www.alexandroff.org uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts