don't know where to turn

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
mistyblack73

by mistyblack73 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 pm

don't know where to turn

My daughter aged 15 has had behavioural and mood swing issues since the age of 7, she has received counselling from Camhs on numerous occassions and when her mood lifts and they close her file. She them suffers from what I describe as a low and her mood becomes very difficult to deal with, she becomes aggressive and has physically attacked me on a number of occassions. She has been withdrawn from school for the last 8 mths because of her behaviour. She was assessed 7 mths ago by a member of the cahms team who said she was suffering from anxiety and had suicidal tendencies, he said he was going to refer her to see a psychiatrist but this never happened and once again her mood lifted. Until last week, she is now spending a lot of time sleeping, she is only communicating by way of verbal abuse and is refusing to participate in home tuition if I confiscate her belongings as way of punishment she physically attacks me. My GP beleives she is just being a teen but I have two older teen daughters who have never acted this way. We also have a strong family history or mental health issues including bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia and long term depression, is my GP right, am I just looking to excuse her behaviour or does she really have a problem?

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:27 am

Re: don't know where to turn

Hi. Sounds dificult. Of course it could be something she will grow out of naturally though clearly its causing problems for all parties, currently. You have two optioins - assertive requests for re-referral to CAMHS. Try to secure an assessment by a Consultant Psychiatrist. Second, seeking that assessment privately. Your GP could advise. Nothing you have mentioned is clearly suggestive of the development of a serious mental illness though that can't be ruled out.
Dr Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

2 posts