Can I keep this from my employer?

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
JollyRoger

by JollyRoger on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Can I keep this from my employer?

Hi all,

I have been suffering with a mental illness for some years now, which I have learned to live with basically. Unfortunately I am struggling at the moment and really want to get some help but I don't think I can!

I'm serving in the Merchant Navy and in order to go to sea we have to pass a medical which is certified by a MCA endorsed doctor. I don't believe I would be classified as fit/it may harm my career should I confide in the MCA doctor. What can I do? At first I thought I could go see my local GP but if this goes onto my medical records can the MCA doctor not see this? (Would he have access to my medical records?)

It's terrifying me because I know I need help but fear it will do more harm than good.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Annette Boden - Counsellor

by Annette Boden - Counsellor on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Can I keep this from my employer?

I cannot answer on behalf of your employer but I would suggest speaking to your GP in the first instance and posing this question hyperthetically. You may also want to consider a private consultation with a counsellor and making a decision regarding how your illness is impacting on your quality of life at present and your ability to undertake your duties at sea. You certainly shouldn't have to contunue to suffer but I do understand your concerns. A lot depends on the nature of your illness and how it impacts on your daily life. So there are a number of considerations to think about here but I would also consider the possible detrimental impact of continuing to try and work without addressing your health needs. I hope that helps.
Annette Boden - Hypnotherapist, psychotherapist, Counsellor
MSc, BSc(Hons)Psychology, MBPsS, FNSHP, ADHP (NC) Adv.Dip THP (N-SHAP), Adv.Dip (NCHP), Member: CRAH; HA; HCB. UKCP registered hypno-psychotherapist. CNHC registered Hypnotherapist.

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Re: Can I keep this from my employer?

Your GP can't make available your medical records without your permission, even to an occupational health doctor. Your employer has a responsbility to assist you and I suspect it is highly unlikely your condition would preclude your continuing work. It is always best to speak to your employer - it is indeed a responsibility of yours.
Dr Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

3 posts