Why is my body doing this?

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
AmySB

by AmySB on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:56 pm

Why is my body doing this?

Hello, I'm really nervous about writing this so I'm sorry if what I write isn't clear or doesn't make sense. Also not sure if I've posted in the right area, but we'll see..

I'm a 19 year old girl and I really need some help understanding some things. When I was younger, I have always been somebody who has never been ill, never had any problems. I've been the easiest teenager for my parents, until now it seems. Over the last couple of years, I've had numerous medical problems including urine retention. However, none of these have been diagnosed as to why they've happened and have come down to stress. I have been put on antidepressants because of how I've been feeling which I really don't like.

A couple of months ago I had some seizures. These were really scary and I can't remember what was happening at the time. I have now been diagnosed with psychogenic non-epileptic fits. This really scares me as I just don't understand them as I can't control how they happen or anything, yet it isn't my body doing it. I'm just so confused and quite scared by all of this. This happened a few months ago, and somewhere along the line my referrals went wrong and I haven't seen anybody (except my own GP) who can help me understand this.

I'm not really sure what I want from posting this on here, but it feels like somebody might be able to help me a little bit to to help me understand why my body is doing this to me at the moment and when it'll stop so I can carry on being the bubbly, happy young girl that I was before all of this.
Thank you.

Dr Johanna Herrod

by Dr Johanna Herrod on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Re: Why is my body doing this?

Dear Amy,

You need to be referred to a Neuropsychiatry Centre for further assessment and management of Non-Epileptic Attacks (NEAD). This will involve gaining an understanding of what is happening and mainly behavioural strategies (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) to help.
The website neurosymptoms is helpful as is the Epilepsy website.

Kind regards Dr Johanna Herrod

2 posts