Referral to Psychiatrist

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
keats

by keats on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Referral to Psychiatrist

Dear Someone,

I have been referred to a psychiatrist by my GP today. The last time I seen a GP was in 2009. Before that it was 2004.

I'm scared they won't take me seriously. I was in hospital 8 years ago (2004) for 4 weeks from taking an overdose and I didn't get on with the psychiatrist. I felt the way he spoke to me was very dismissive and It was only after I wrote a letter to request a change of psychiatrist, that he started to take notice. This as you can imagine was very stressful considering I was already feeling suicidal.

I have not got the energy to do this again
Can you please advise me what the referral appointment will be like so I can prepare mentally for the kind of questions I will be asked.
It was like an interrogation previously and I can't go through that again. My moods have been all over the place since starting university, suicidal thoughts, no energy, to planning my dissertation and playing first team basketball and training every day. Today I've been extremely irritable and can't focus for the background noise around me.

Please can someone offer me some reassurance. I want to make Uni work out.
Thank you
Female age 30.

Dr Trevor Friedman

by Dr Trevor Friedman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:47 am

Re: Referral to Psychiatrist

Hi. I am sorry that you had a bad experience last time you saw a psychiatrist. At the appointment the psychiatrist would normally have about an hour to see you and discuss your problems. They would normally ask that you bring someone with you to act as support for you and also because it is often helpful to get an account of the problem from someone who knows you well (a partner or parent). Most people usually find this a very helpful process. It should not be unpleasant as the doctor should be trying to find out what is wrong and how to help you. It would be a good idea to tell the doctor at the beginning ofyour meeting that you previosuly had a bad experience so that the doctor understands why you might be apprehensive abou the meeting.
Dr Trevor Friedman
Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist
BSc MB BS FRCPsych

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... iedman.php

keats

by keats on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:06 am

Re: Referral to Psychiatrist

Many thanks for your kind words Dr Friedman.

3 posts