CBT not helping, where next?

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Sparrow

by Sparrow on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:08 pm

CBT not helping, where next?

Having done CBT and being told that it isn't helping my anxiety and depression where is it I go next?
I do not want to be the way I am, and it is getting to the point where something has to happen.

Any suggestions / advice?

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 am

Re: CBT not helping, where next?

Medications can be very helpful and are not dangerous. Interpersonal therapy and supportive counselling can be helpful for generalized anxiety so if you didn't get on with CBT, consider a different type of therapy.
Dr Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

Annette Boden - Counsellor

by Annette Boden - Counsellor on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: CBT not helping, where next?

I would recommend looking for a compassion focused therapy therapist and can recommend a few websites to look at also. CBT is useful but it is important to acknowledge and address your emotions also.
You may find it helpful to attend a mindfulness based stress reduction programme if there are any courses running locally to yourself.
If you like reading I can recommend 3 websites to access in the first instance:
I would recommend that you take a look at the website of the compassionate mind foundation

www.compassionatemind.co.uk for more information.

Professor Paul Gilbert has also written an excellent book "The compassionate mind" which I recommend to all my clients.

I also highly recommend the work of Professor Kristin Neff and her book "Self compassion".

Kristin Neff http://www.self-compassion.org/will be running workshops in the UK later this year with her colleague Dr Christopher Germer. His book that I recommend is called "The mindful way to self compassion". www.mindfulselfcompassion.org.
Even if you just have a go at some of the self help excercises that are available you are focusing your attention on action and that creates motivation for change- change being able to access positive feelings at this moment in time.
I hope that helps.
Annette Boden - Hypnotherapist, psychotherapist, Counsellor
MSc, BSc(Hons)Psychology, MBPsS, FNSHP, ADHP (NC) Adv.Dip THP (N-SHAP), Adv.Dip (NCHP), Member: CRAH; HA; HCB. UKCP registered hypno-psychotherapist. CNHC registered Hypnotherapist.

3 posts