GP's lack of care

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Bradders

by Bradders on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:09 pm

GP's lack of care

I had another episode of depression and anxiety in September 2010, at first I didnt know what exactly was wrong as things in my life all seemed to be in a mess. The niece I had fostered I couldnt deal with, my cat died, I stopped smoking and I got promoted all in one year!

After some counselling I realised I had taken on too much for me (or I dont feel confident at this time to do the job) However I have had nothing but despair, I was off work then my doctor would send me back, off again for another 6 wks and then my doctor sends me back, off for 2 wks and then a week back at work and yes you've guessed it, Im off again. The laughable thing is I was being made redundant in the following March anyway so why did my doctor make me struggle with commuting, panic attacks, low self esteem and trying to Work!!! Eventually in July 2012 I changed GP and went to another practice. The doctor I have been allocated also seems to have no time for Mental Health Issues. I have been seeing another doctor at the practice who I knew from years ago when I worked at a GP practice, although abrupt referred me for counselling and changed my medication. However, when I went to see my allocated doctor he was rude and talked to the computer screen instead of me, and said he couldnt help me, and I had had counselling for the anxiety, what more did I want!

Normally I can manage the work life balance, but things got too much for me. Not blaming the past but I have an awful childhood with physical and sexual abuse, bullied at school and then when I got my first office job after returning to work after having children I was bullied again. I got attacked by a girl when defending my daughter and grandchild which left me in a mess, this was 14 years aog. I left a job 5 years ago for the same reasoons, being bullied, so life hasnt been that easy, along with losing my mother sister father cousin and various other relatives. I have seen a psychiatrist some years ago and I do believe he diagnosed me has having GAD.

My problem today is I dont know what the diagnose is, and the way I have been treated by 2 separate GP's. which leads me to believe that it is me and not them?

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:07 am

Re: GP's lack of care

You do sound as if a review by a psychiatrist is indicated. I am afraid you would have to ask the Gp to refer you. Try not to slip into self blame and hopelessness. Put your energies into getting that referral.
Dr Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

2 posts