Getting a diagnosis

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
peridot

by peridot on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Getting a diagnosis

Hi, I have been suffering from symptoms of anxiety and depression since my early/ pre-teens and have previously suffered from obsessive thought patterns and self-harming (not currently).

I have been on treatment (antidepressants and councelling) for around two years and have recently started taking 150mg Sertraline after changing from Citalopram to Sertraline 100mg last month. I have also attended a CBT self-help course recently.

All of my treatment has been to tackle the symptoms of anxiety and depression, and although helps - does not seem to be tackling the root cause to allow my condition to significantly improve and I am wondering is something is being missed. I have found when I have broached the subject of a diagnosis at my local GP surgury-they seem to be unwilling to look into getting an official diagnosis, how would I go about getting a diagnosis?

peridot

by peridot on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:17 pm

Re: Getting a diagnosis

i am 23 and female btw

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:09 am

Re: Getting a diagnosis

Hi. Its good that some of the treatment helps so clearly a diagnosis of anxiety and depression is part of the answer. If you'd like a further assessment your best bet is to ask your GP to refer you to the psychiatry services - NHS or privately. A psychiatrist would be more confident than your GP in clarifying the nature of your problems.
Dr Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

3 posts