getting a 2nd opinion

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
fredfrog

by fredfrog on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 pm

getting a 2nd opinion

I have formally been diagnosed with an "anxiety disorder" since the age of 17 (am now 28). Had a very bad experience with medication in the past and decided to stop it. Recently been put on anti depressants’ again after a 5 year break and they made me go hyper and this put me and my family at risk. In the past they gave my anti-psychotics to help counter balance this and I became so drugged up it ruined my life (and wasted 4 years by making me too ill to work).

I am concerned about a mis-diagnosis as took anti depressants again after a 5 year break from medication and a relative period of stability - it let to the same problems. My friends and family think I may have bi-polar disorder. Unfortunately I don't have a good relationship with my psychiatrist and it has made me very untrusting and disappointed with the health service. Also don’t think he is very good. He is the only one that covers my area (I live in a small rural area) and have asked if I can be under someone else's care and told that this is not an option. Is that true? Is there any way I can get a 2nd opinion?

Also please could you offer some advice about mis-diagnosis. I have heard that it is not uncommon and after being stable and in work for a few years am scared about trusting the doctors again as in the past they seemed to make things worse and put me at risk.

From
Fred

Annette Boden - Counsellor

by Annette Boden - Counsellor on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:40 am

Re: getting a 2nd opinion

You are certainly entitled to a second opinion although I appreciate if you are living in a rural area you may have to travel a bit further. Perhaps if you visit your GP with this concern and request with a family member to support you.
I cannot advise regarding medication or diagnosis but I would certainly speak to your GP about some CBT to help relieve the anxiety symptoms- also Mindfulness and meditation can help with this if you are looking for alternatives outside the NHS. Hypnotherapy is helpful for anxiety too but I think you are right to seek a second opinion given the problems you have had with the medications as certain conditions are contra indicated with Hypnotherapy- in other words it would not be helpful for certain conditions. I understand it may not be easy to approach your GP again due to the relationship with your current psychiatrist but under the patients charter you have a right to treatment that works.
Annette Boden - Hypnotherapist, psychotherapist, Counsellor
MSc, BSc(Hons)Psychology, MBPsS, FNSHP, ADHP (NC) Adv.Dip THP (N-SHAP), Adv.Dip (NCHP), Member: CRAH; HA; HCB. UKCP registered hypno-psychotherapist. CNHC registered Hypnotherapist.

2 posts