UVB- phototherapy

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
meggymoo94

by meggymoo94 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:23 pm

UVB- phototherapy

has anybody used phototherapy for there eczema and if so how long have the results lasted if there was any? Im supposed to be having 30 treatments I have had five so far- its getting hotter and hotter but I have seen a mild improvement.

Anyone else?

TIA

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: UVB- phototherapy

Hello,

Although I have no first hand experience of phototherapy I have done a bit of research to see if I can help answer some of your questions.

Phototherapy uses ultraviolet (UV) light to reduce inflammation. The National Eczema Association describes this treatment as using narrowband ultraviolet B (UVB) light. This is the most common type of phototherapy. This uses a special machine to emit UVB light at 311-312 nm, which is the most beneficial portion of natural sunlight for skin problems. Importantly, it also avoids the UVA aspect of sunlight which is very damaging to skin, and can accelerate aging and progression towards skin cancers.

The Association goes on to say that it seems to help about 60-70% of patients with eczema that have not responded adequately to topical treatments, though it does not work for everyone. When it does work, it is not a rapid improvement like some treatments: generally 1-2 months of steady treatment is necessary to start to see improvement. Fortunately for many patients, when it does work it seems to be a “remittive” therapy, meaning it can put the eczema in a quiet state for a longer period of time, sometimes even long past the phototherapy has ended.

For more in depth information take a look at the Association's website on phototherapy: https://nationaleczema.org/eczema/treat ... totherapy/

I hope this helps Meggymoo94.

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts