How I Have Cured My Eczema & Skin Problems

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

11 posts
Kats

by Kats on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:01 pm

How I Have Cured My Eczema & Skin Problems

Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker on the board here for a long time. Have read a lot of posts and tried out lots of recommendations over the years but sadly found nothing that worked or gave any long term results. However, I have just found an amazing cure. Am so excited about this and have joined the forum to share, in the hope that it may help other people.

Ok, I am 47 years old. My facial skin problems began at puberty around the age of 11. I got acne :( and it blighted my life. It carried on through my 20s and at 21 I developed HSV1 which erupts on my cheeks, never the lips like most people :? . So I continued into my 30s and 40s suffering with acne and constant HSV1 breakouts.

Then, as if things couldn't get any worse, I developed facial eczema at the start of my 40s. I have tried everything over the years. Pills, potions, lotions, creams, ACV, Dead Sea salts, vitamins, diet. In fact I became so wary and afraid that food was the trigger, I was scared to eat anything at all.

This year especially my facial eczema has been terrible :roll: . My skin has been very red and sore and covered with large patches that resemble fish scales. 2 patches at either side of my eyes and patches to the side of my mouth would never heal. Even when they were in a settled state, they were still obvious and ready to flare up at any time.

Hope you aren't getting bored. Ok, my last plan of attack was the following. I stopped using all cleansers etc and started the oil cleanse method, using olive oil mixed with almond oil. The results were ok but the problems were still there. I began taking flaxseed oil internally, but this made matters worse, so I quit the flaxseed and started taking borage oil capsules also known as starflower oil. Within days, my skin was looking improved but still in need of something else, so I found a specific Borage Cream and within a day or 2, my face was clear. And I mean clear! The redness, itch and soreness gone, the flaky scales started to rapidly drop off and not return.

Weeks down the line and I have a new face. Acne has gone, blocked pores no more and all the eczema patches, even the persistant ones around eyes and mouth have gone........as well as the fine lines and wrinkles. Also, the damage caused by long tem use of steroid creams has faded and looking better and better every day.

I can't promise it will work for everyone but it's worth a try and I would be so keen to hear any success stories.

Good luck!

brooke.x

by brooke.x on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Re: How I Have Cured My Eczema & Skin Problems

Wow, that must have all been horrid to go through :( So I am so glad that something has worked for you!! And thank you for posting your experience with Borage Cream, it could really help people and give them another thing to try! I will also try it if I get another flare up to see how it goes. So happy for you, thanks again!
Brooke x

Kats

by Kats on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks for you kind words Brooke x :)

Yes it has been horrid suffering skin problems for so long and going through so much with it :( . Just to report that things are still going well :D . It's easy to get complacent though and succumbed to the temptation of some cake the other day and the next day my face was verging on another eruption. I upped the borage caps for a day or two and bought some fish oils today to take and so far it has come to nothing. Fingers crossed!

If the oils can help even one person here, it would make me sooo happy.

Kats

by Kats on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 am

Hi nissan :)

I took a look at that site you mention and to be honest, am not impressed with it :(

Can I ask, do you use those products and do they work? I'd bet anything that they don't. They may possibly give some temporary relief in the beginning, but the long term is something to consider if you care about yourself and the welfare of other people.

Ok, I will refer to the ingredients of the moisturizer that's listed on that site and what is said beforehand -
So what creams should parents be using? Professor Cork says they should avoid all perfumed and scented products, as these contain more artificial ingredients. He also advises against using natural or organic products, which don''t contain preservatives. "These can be hazardous because they can be contaminated with bacteria. Altering the way babies are washed could, in some cases, prevent atopic eczema developing, and in others, reduce its severity. It may also reduce the severity of related diseases such as asthma and food allergy."
Nods head in agreement with that part, but then it goes on to list their ingredients in their moisturizer -

Medical moisturisers , such as white soft paraffin, liquid paraffin 50-50 or emulsifying ointments are the best option, although parents may need to experiment until they find one that works well for their child.

Aqua, Paraffinum liquidum, Glycerine, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol , Allantoin, Benzyl Alcohol, Elaeis Guineensis, Aloe Barbadensis, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium Salt of EDTA, Sodium Silicate.
The ingredients contradict what they advise you to do. Paraffinum liquidum is liquid paraffin. The problems
1. The skin is the body’s largest organ and plays a vital role in overall health. Mineral oil acts as a thin plastic, impenetrable layer on the skin. It is difficult to absorb and clogs the pores, which slows the skin’s ability to eliminate toxins – which can promote acne and other disorders. This process slows down skin function and normal cell development causing the skin to prematurely age.

John Hopkins University claims that mineral oil in moisturizers is the number two leading cause of aging (#1 cause is the sun). According to Australia’s National Occupational Health and Safety Commission (NOHSC), “Prolonged contact with mineral oil has the associated risk of developing skin conditions such as oil folliculitis, eczematous dermatitis, melanosis of the face and plantar warts.”

A recent article in Positive Health Magazine, outlines the dangers of the mineral oils found so ubiquitously in the majority of cosmetic products, including baby oil, lipstick, face creams, body lotions and sunscreens. “Mineral oil (classed as a petrochemical pollutant and xenohormone) can have negative effects on hormones and the skin’s ability to breathe, attract moisture and detoxify. It can also slow down cell renewal and be the second (after the sun) most likely cause of premature ageing. In fact sunscreens produced from mineral oil may promote skin cancer as well as colon and breast cancer.”

Some mineral oils are carcinogenic. Studies have shown that poorly refined mineral oil can induce skin and scrotal cancers after prolonged, repeated, and heavy direct contact with the skin. Australia’s NSHOC reports: “A number of studies have linked cancers of the skin and scrotum to mineral oil exposure.” (Brit J Industr Med, 41, 437-444, 1984.)

2. Once the oil is absorbed, it is broken down by the liver, thus distracting the liver from other detoxifying chores. The liver helps your baby fend off sickness and toxicity.

3. Just having mineral oil around is a liability. If mineral oil is ingested, it will absorb (and essentially rob) vitamins from the intestinal tract – especially oil-soluble vitamins A, D and E. as well as beta-carotene, calcium, phosphorus and potassium and the blood coagulant Vitamin K. This could lead to nutritional deficiencies and other complications.

4. Ingested mineral oil also can impair lung function, a condition known as lipoid pneumonia (New England Journal of Medicine 1998; 339:1947-1948). Dr. Debra L. Bowen from the Food and Drug Administration says the agency “requires manufacturers to label orally administered mineral-oil products as not for use in infants, and to warn against their use in young children or bedridden persons.” Oddly enough, mineral oil is still widely prescribed by some pediatricians as a “safe” laxative for children.

Why oh why would anyone want to smear themselves or their loved ones in that? You wouldn't expect to spray a beautiful rose in engine oil and expect it to remain pure and healthy, so why promote this for humans?

Here is more interesting reading covering other common and nasty ingredients that many people are not aware of such as parabens, sodium lauryl sulphate etc -

http://www.articlealley.com/are-you-awa ... 62182.html

http://www.theremustbeabetterway.co.uk/ ... Story.html

http://www.healthychoices.co.uk/sls.html

The public need to become aware of the chemical hazards in our every day products and opt for healthy natural choices, before it's too late.

sunny81

by sunny81 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:26 pm

hate to burst bubbles here but...

http://www.bastyrcenter.org/content/view/411/

there is no cure.. only control...
Sunny81

Kats

by Kats on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:51 pm

You aren't bursting any bubbles sunny81. The link you posted is indeed the study that I had already forementioned. And it may be that studies like that are written to put people off even trying something, possibly because it does work and if it works so well, the all then pharmaceutical giants etc would lose too much money, punting all the rubbish that they do that definitely doesn't work and is harmful.

I have suffered...........and I mean suffered really badly with skin problems most of my life. It has been a burning desire to get to the bottom of things, find the causes, find the cures. After 35+ years of searching and study........I now have, for the first time, clear skin and no eczema and I attribute this to borage and cod liver oil. If you had seen me a few months ago you would have gasped in horror.

Here's a link for you http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natur ... 00944.html

I don't have to waste my time posting on your site. I have joined as I want to help people.

Just because one stupid study has been written does not mean that it doesn't work and I'm proof that it does work.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating ;)

brooke.x

by brooke.x on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:24 pm

I have also read a few things about borage cream not actually helping, but I've also read things that say it's fantastic and helps a lot. Everybody has different skin, that's why it's so difficult to find what works for different people, so we don't really know until we try. I've recently hit a bad flare up myself & soon I will be going to town to get some borage cream to see if it helps, and I'm so thankful that Kats posted this topic because it's offered me another thing to try. If it doesn't work it would be a bummer, but it's better to try something and have it possibly change my life than to sit miserably alone in my house, hating myself. :cry:
So thank you so much Kats for posting this :) I hope it helps people, and hope it goes well for me, too :)

Kats

by Kats on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi brooke.x :)

Just curious to know if you have tried the borage cream yet. It would probably work better for you too if you took the borage caps and fish oils.

Fingers X'd that it is helping you.

Please let me know even if it isn't working. But like I say, it would help to take the capsules too to give it a proper chance to work.

ebadger

by ebadger on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:33 am

Good morning everyone,

This site is fantastic and soo useful for people to hear about all of the alternative treatments that are out there to try. I have had eczema on my hands for as long as i can remember and severe psoriasis all over my body and had tried all the treatments, ointments and creams that were recommended by my doctor and dermatoligist. However 9 months ago i came across a company called Forever Living who have natural aloe vera and bee products that were recommended to me. I am now very pleased to tell you all that i am now completely free of both conditiions and by using the products as my daily routine the conditions are maintained. Aloe vera is a natural antiviral, antiinflammatory and immune balancer and the bee product is a natural antibiotic and therefore is safe on all ages including babies. So naturally i am absolutely over the moon with my new skin and the new lease of life that it has given me and want to TELL THE WORLD about these amazing products. It worked for me and i hope that i can help some of you as i know how dibilitating and lonely it can be :D

gordshelia123@gmail.com

by gordshelia123@gmail.com on Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:22 pm

Eczema is a chronic illness, hence there is no cure for it. However, there are numerous effective treatments for dry, itchy skin.The first step in treating eczema is typically using moisturisers and other products containing emollients on a daily basis. This helps your skin's barrier regain moisture and lessens inflammation and other symptoms. During a flare-up, medicated lotions and ointments can also hasten the healing process.

11 posts