Help! Finding a n eczema cream that works difficult

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
sophiesmummy

by sophiesmummy on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Help! Finding a n eczema cream that works difficult

Hi,
Mi suffer with eczema, but I am finding it hard to find an eczema cream that works all the time as my eczema flares up alot especially in this cold weather as well as when I have had a bath or shower. It seems to flare up more when I'm hot .

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Help! Finding a n eczema cream that works difficult

Hello Sophiesmummy,

Thank you for your post. I agree, it is difficult to find a cream that works for you - unfortunately it can be trial and error to find a suitable combination as everyone's skin is different.

What type of creams have you already used? What does your eczema look like and where about on your body does it appear?

Please take a look at the information below which I have posted in the past on our "skin" forum:

You could benefit from a full review, either with your local pharmacist or GP. They will be able to look at your medication, discuss how you use the creams and look at your symptoms in much more detail. They will also be able to recommend suitable alternative products and check you are using your creams efficiently.

The 'medicines review' is a free and confidential NHS service offered by most pharmacies. If the pharmacist feels you would benefit from visiting the GP, they will refer you.

In preparation for a review, perhaps it might be worthwhile noting down when you have flare ups of your skin complaints. Can you link a worsening of your eczema with eating certain foods or products such as perfumes? Is it worse when the weather is very cold or alternatively very hot? Have you any new pets that may be causing the problem? All these things can affect the skin and it would be useful to note down if anything specific triggers off a worsening of your symptoms.

I would also just like to take this opportunity to ensure that you are continuing to use a good emollient cream all over your body, not just the problematic areas? Ointments, although greasy, penetrate the skin better during flare ups. Something like epaderm ointment, hydromol ointment or doublebase gel would do the job. We always recommend that you apply the cream in the direction of hair growth at least once daily, if not more frequently. We also recommend to smooth the cream on in downward strokes, not rub it in vigorously. By applying the cream this way it will avoid further irritation. Emollients can also be used as soap substitutes, so perhaps this is a better option for you when you wash your face or have a shower?

Some of my patients find that wet wrapping is a useful technique for when their flare ups are bad. Bandaging helps the skin absorb the emollient better, reduces itchiness and makes the skin more comfortable. For more information on wet wrapping, see the National Eczema Assoc's website http://nationaleczema.org/eczema/treatm ... wet-wraps/ Speak to your GP if you might like to try this technique, if you haven't already.

Please be aware that unfortunately there is no 'cure' as such for eczema. It is a chronic problem which may continue to flare up. The good news is, that with the right treatment the eczema can be well managed. This means you will be able to control your eczema.

I really would recommend a visit to your pharmacy as they will be able to look at all your symptoms and check the history of the eczema and your treatments with you. In the meantime, the National Eczema Society may provide you with some more useful information. You can access their website from this address: http://www.eczema.org/

I hope this is of some use to you and that you manage to get your eczema under control soon,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts