Active Treatments

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

67 posts
Puddleduck

by Puddleduck on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Alternatives to Elidel?

Hi there,

I can see your dilemma.

Have you tried SOS rescue cream and Neal's Yard calendula cream? I use these in between Dermovate, the most potent topical steroid. SOS rescue cream comes in a body formulation and a hand cream, which is slightly thicker. They are both made from natural ingredients.
Neal's Yard Calendula cream is good for cracked areas of eczema, and they also do a Calendula & Hypericum cream, which is excellent for areas which are also painful. They also have a Stellaria cream (chickweed), which is good for inflamed, red and burning eczema and I used that for over a year until I became sensitive to it. It's a good idea to have a range of several creams and rotate them so that the skin doesn't become sensitised. This may not happen in you son's case, as he is an infant: in my case I am 32 and my system reacts to many things it was absolutely fine with for 20 years or so!

All the best. ;)

Puddleduck

by Puddleduck on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 pm

Ciclosporin/Cyclosporin: anyone used it?

Hello there,

I finally saw the dermatologist after waiting 4 months for the appointment.
I've been given a prescription for Ciclosporin and two week's penicillin to begin immediately because the eczema is severe and infected, and there's also increased infection risk while I'm on the drug.

Has anyone else used this? How were you after a 2 or 3 month course?

I'm very hesitant to begin taking it immediately, even though, as the consultant said himself, I "need a break from the relentless onslaught for some rest".

I'm waiting to be seen at the homeopathic hospital next week for multiple conditions, and will decide once I have had their input and yours, whether to take Ciclosporin. I've been given plenty information to read about its actions and side effects, and it's a low dose so hopefully won't cause any of the potential kidney damage, raised blood pressure, etc. What they don't outline is that Ciclosporin can cause bone density loss as steroids can.

Meri

by Meri on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:52 am

Re: Alternatives to Elidel?

All of the potions you have named (in the original post - I don't know about the Neals Yard one) are based petrochemicals (vasaline is a handy use of a by- product from this industry).

My son reacts whenever he has any of these "creams" put on him (impossible according to the dermatologist, not so if you read up on it).

Have you tried using creams based on plant oils, http://www.essential-care.co.uk have a good range, the rescue/repair cream is fab and the ultra rich is really handy for those areas which need more moisturising. Initially when we tried these products they seemed to do nothing. However, with further research I found that the skin needed to be weaned off of the vasaline/diprobase type creams as they stop the skin from functioning correctly (yes the skin looks moist but it is not able to 'breathe', it is like putting clingfilm on the skin). It took a week or so of using the new plant based creams in conjunction with the others to adapt and adjust to the new regime, but I wouldn't go back now, power to the plants I say!!

Whatever you put on the skin upto 60% is absorbed, if you wouldn't eat it don't put it on your skin as it is going to end up inside you anyway if you do.

Salcura is a good product too, try a search on it. It is good at calming the itch. :D

susie09

by susie09 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Ciclosporin/Cyclosporin: anyone used it?

Hi, I am a user of ciclosporin, I have been on it for the best part of 3 years..What can i say. I have chronic eczema all over - face, torso , arms legs scalp etc., I was 50 earlier this year and have had this complaint all my life, its getting worse as I get older and the let up less frequent. Every time I take a break from ciclosporin my skin is awful.
Please ask questions next time you see the Consultant. I have to stress to you that I have had this condition for 50yrs, in a chronic form, and if I had my time over, would I have first taken the medication, I think the answer would be yes. Good luck.

Puddleduck

by Puddleduck on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:55 am

Thanks for your reply. I'm so pleased it has worked well for you. It must be such a godsend.

I haven't started the course of Cyclosporin, even though I have the 6-week course in a cupboard, waiting. I decided to await the outcome of an appointment I had at the homeopathic hospital first.
I'm using the homeopathic remedies and also am back on the nutritional supplements prescribed by my nutritionist and giving this 4-6 weeks first of all.
I responded very quickly to the first dose and am taking it one day at a time.
I couldn't possibly start taking Cyclosporin immediately because I work with kids, and at the moment most of them have horrible throat infections or vomiting bugs, and I'm told that Cyclosporin makes us more susceptible to infection. If I catch what they have, I can't work at all and have no income.

Do you find that you are more prone to catching other people's bugs while on the drug?

Helen

by Helen on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Mycophenolate Mofetil

hi,

im 23 years old and have suffered with severe eczema since birth, for the past 3 months i have been taking azathiroprine, but these are not working for m, my consultant now wants to me on Mcophenolate Motefil, i have tried to read up on this over the net and to be honest what i have read scared me about how i will react and what effects it will have on me in the future! im am so scare i never thought i would get this bad, but i have to do something bout my skin, i am already signed off work with depression, i cry nearly every day withe the pain, embarrassment, itching etc....., really i was wandering if there is anyone who has taken or is taking this drug who can give me some advice or anything to let me know more about it fro your point, i need to settle my mind and doctors just don't do that for me at the moment,

I would really appreciate any info

Thank you

Regards

Helen

Helen

by Helen on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:46 pm

hi im not a user of cyclosporine but for the last 4 months i have been using Azathiroprine which has basically done nothing for my severe eczema, i have had this all my life and basically at the end of my tether with it! my consultant suggested cylosporine or Mycophenalate mofetil which the the strongest one out of these drugs, i am totally scared of the side effects it may have on me, as it says ur more susceptible to ''treatable Cancers''!, and the usual liver, kidneys could be affected, i never thought i would this bad :( as well as being on 400ml these aza drugs a day im also on 30mg steroids a day, i take at least 4 piriton a day to try and calm the itching and pain as well as co codimal to numb it,

while on these drugs i have found that i do catch colds etc.... alot easier so i try to keep my self healthy taking vitamins, eating healthier so that i don't catch them as easy.

I really hope that the treatment works for you as i know its can be very lowering and depressing when nothing seems works

Good luck to all

:)

babeshall

by babeshall on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Mycophenolate Mofetil

I really can feal for you, my husband has severe eczema and has had it since birth (he is now 37) He has had mycophenolate, he stopped taking it about 3 years ago to be put on to aza. They are all roughly the same, but can react differently with different poeple, as one may work for one but not the other. The side affects of all of them are scariy but if it was to work then it would be worth it. unfortunatly my hubby had to come off the aza as well as they have now found that his adrenal glands are not working after taking steroids for so long. He hasn't been able to work for the last 5 years and unfortunatly we are running out of ideas, i'm sorry if this is not very positive but you have got to try everything, as you might just find the one that works for you.
good luck i hope it goes well
Natalie

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:03 pm

Elidel Side effects??

I would like to hear of anyones views on using Elidel on young children. I don't think I know enough of this cream to go ahead and use it. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

junction8

by junction8 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:15 am

Re: Elidel Side effects??

I don't know the effects on young children. I know that they say it's safe to use on the face because the steroid percentage is so low, so maybe it's okay for baby skin, too. Anyone else?

67 posts