Active Treatments

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

67 posts
gecko

by gecko on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Protopic

Yes its no big deal when you've had it for so long, but being a mum with kids who have it must be hell. Poor you. At least there's things like this forum to get support and help.
Take care
Joyx

mmeeks

by mmeeks on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:59 pm

Need Thoughts!

Hello again. I just got back from the dermatologist and he prescribed me three ointments. The first one is Cutivate Ointment..has anyone tried this? also he gave me Kenalog. and last but not least he gave me Protopic. I have heard good things and bad things about protopic. Just thought I would ask if anyone has tried any of these ointments and if any of them worked. I don't have insurance so I hate to spend money on things that don't even work. $100 just to see the doctor then god knows how much for the ointments, but Anyways...let me know if you have any info!

Thanks so much!

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: Need Thoughts!

Hi My son has Cutivate to use as an alternative to Elocon, when his skin needs a change to avoid the skin getting used to the steoids. It is comfortable, when other steroids sting this one does not. Good luck.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

danny

by danny on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:58 pm

if you got an infection it always helps your body to take echinacea and golden seal supplements,
especially if your on pro-topic which compromises your immune system.
echinecea will boost your immune system while golden acts as a natural anti-biotic.

gecko

by gecko on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Need Thoughts!

Hi
All I would say is, dont use the Cutivate and Protopic at the same time. Cutivate is a steroid cream and Protopic is an immunosuppressant so they are sort of opposites - I dont know what would happen if you used them both at once, but I wouldnt like to risk it! Take care. If you find the Protopic makes you itch more at first, try and persevere for a day or two - I find the itching does wear off and it does work, as long as you don't get an infection in the meantime whilst the skin is still sore. Thats the tradeoff I'm afraid - there's usually SOME sort of side effects with whatever we try! :roll:

ironchef

by ironchef on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 am

Hi,

Several years ago, I had been on Proptopic. At first it seemed like a miracle as it cleared the eczema on my hands. But after a year of use, I suffered a severe staph and herpetic infection on my hands that spread to the rest of my body. It had compromised my immune system to the point where I passed out and went to the hospital as a result of these infections. I have been on Acyclovir ever since to treat the eczema herpeticum as a result of the Protopic. This is a side effect of Protopic that doctors do not warn patients enough about....in addition to the fact that Protopic causes cancer. Be aware....it may work well at first but your immune system may never be the same and you could end up with something worse....like herpes on top of your eczema. Please be careful. I don't want anyone to go through what I went through.

karendee77

by karendee77 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:11 pm

ironchef wrote:in addition to the fact that Protopic causes cancer.
There is no definite link to cancer. Trials are ongoing. I understand that you had a serious reaction to the stuff - I also had a bad reaction - but no need to scaremonger! I'm sure that if there was a definitive link this stuff would not be available. It certainly is not a fact that Protopic causes cancer,

ironchef

by ironchef on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:41 am

A black box warning was issued a few years ago..that's why it's worth mentioning. The more patients know, the better. In the end, everyone is entitled to making their own decisions.

ironchef

by ironchef on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:51 am

P.S. Karendee77, I'm really sorry that I scared you. It wasn't my intention. You are right, it "may" cause cancer. But even the probability should be alarming enough. Just be careful, that's all. Pharmaceuticals companies at the end of the day are driven by profit margins at the end of the day and they lobby government bodies such as the FDA...black box warnings may just be the tip of the iceburg.

Take care,

Ironchef

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Active Treatments

What active treatments are you using to control your eczema? Protopic, Elidel, Azathioprine, steroids, immuno-suppressants etc? Let us know what you've tried and how your treatments have worked for you.
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

67 posts