Hot water treatment for itching

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
sshorter

by sshorter on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 am

Hot water treatment for itching

Okay, I've suffered from eczema my whole life and I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out. This is the system.

When you start feeling itchy, hold the itching area under warm running water. (If the area is on your hands or lower arms, you can do this at the sink - anywhere else and you pretty much have to have a shower BUT it will help keep the itching away for a good chunk of time.) Gradually increase the temperature of the water as you run it over the affected area. As the water gets warmer, it will feel like you are scratching the itch. The hotter you let the water get, the more intense the 'scratching' feeling will get until you reach a point where you feel a kind of orgasmic explosion and the itching will stop and you will pull away from the hot water.

Sometimes when an area has been super itchy, you have to do this two or three times before the itching
stops for good, leaving a few minutes between attempts.. I know it sounds unlikely but give it a shot the next time an eczemic area is flaring up and you don't want to tear your skin open with your nails but you just have to stop the itching. No chemicals or steroids - just water. Don't scald yourself - increase the temperature slowly and pull away if it gets uncomfortably hot. But if it works for you like it works for me, you'll be super happy.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 am

Re: Hot water treatment for itching

Yes hot water does "numb" the nerves that sense the itch signals but it is very drying for the skin and dermatologists always recommend not using hot water... kind of falls in the category of feels good, but bad for you.. perhaps a cool compress works? Take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

MellyMel

by MellyMel on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am

Re: Hot water treatment for itching

I do this! Only in the shower, not in a bath. As long as I make sure to apply my prescriptions and moisturize after it helps with itching soooo much. I usually do it before bed.

I know is technically supposed to be bad, but i know what you mean about it being 'orgasmic'...I know I have saved my skin from so much scarring from sleep scratching from this...everyone is different tho.

3 posts