Recommendations after favourite cream discontinued

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

12 posts
llondbol

by llondbol on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Recommendations after favourite cream discontinued

I’ve had eczema on my hands and wrists since I was a child. I tried everything under but the sun and finally 5 years ago worked out all I needed to do was wash up with gloves on and moisturise with Neutrogena Dermatological Cream (Glycerol) 40% and I have it almost totally under control now. This has been prescribed by my doctor for years - but today I was told by the pharmacy that it’s been discontinued! I’m absolutely gutted. And frustrated by their lack of understanding, suggesting I just buy a handcream off the shelf - everything other than this prescribed cream causes it to flair up....

Has anyone else encountered this? Have you found a similar/good alternative? Thank you in advance!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:55 am

Re: Recommendations after favourite cream discontinued

Hi! Is it a change in packaging? I saw on neutrogena website that the norwegian formula hand cream is still in stock, however, the labeling of 40% glycerol is not on the packaging. Perhaps you can compare the ingredient list or contact the company for the difference?

Thanks!
Meihua
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

MattLampitt

by MattLampitt on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 pm

I am in the exact same position..
I have dry skin on my face and at the age of 16/17 this cream literally changed my life. Iv been using everyday for for 15 years.
Now the dreaded day I always feared has come. :-(
I have been trying so many different things but nothing is as good.
Closest I have come is the hand cream version but it’s slightly different and doesn’t seem to have the same effect as the original.
It’s a bit thicker so I tried diluting it down slightly with some 99.9% aloe vira gel. Initially it feels amazing. But doesn’t have the lasting effect.
I have trawled about 20 online chemists and all are out of stock. Think I am going to email neutrogina them selves and ask what they recommend.
I to am open to ideas.

MattLampitt

by MattLampitt on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Update for whoever stumbles across this and is in the desperate position I was in.

Spoken to neutrogina today. They said it was discontinued due to low sales. The woman on the phone recommended this: Aveeno daily moisturising lotion. 24hr
Says it has pretty much the same ingredients.

I went and got some today from boots. I have tried it and things are looking and feeling very promising. :-)
Here is a link to the product.

https://www.superdrug.com/Aveeno/Aveeno ... 0wodCSYEQA

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:10 am

Thanks for sharing! I suppose the person you spoke to is someone from J&J? realized that J&J owns both brands, among others.. take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

grandmajac

by grandmajac on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi! Try good old fashioned Noxzema (no - xzema) cream applied several times a day. Can't hurt to try.

eczamomma

by eczamomma on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:33 pm

My niece recently recommends a soap and lotion and my son and I both have had great results with it. The products all have sea salt in them which at first I will concern about it being too scratchy but they are not at all. It has dramatically backed off my eczema, and the itch is non-existent. My sons is more stubborn, I think because he plays basketball and sweats which irritates it-but it is looking much better. company sells on line and I think amazon. capelilly.com

churl123

by churl123 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 am

I sympathise greatly with all the other comments here. I have been using this cream for over 30 years now and to find out that has been discontinued without any warning what so ever is completely out of order. I have tried all the products listed but they are not like the original product in any shape or form. I rang Neutrogena about why this product was no longer on sale. Poor sales apparently. They said they were going to look into the feedback as they had had a number of callers to ask the very same question.
So, it may be worth ringing them to express your opinion. I was really disappointed by their response I have to say, suggesting I try the hand cream on my face!! Total lack of understanding and fore sight to even think of their long standing customers!! Shame on you Neutrogena!

katemould

by katemould on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 am

I literally had the same problem! That cream was the only thing that worked. I used it for over a decade as I’ve always had extremely dry skin. Since they discontinued it I have had a nightmare with my skin. I have just recently found the perfect solution to it, as my skin now feels how it used to when using the dermatological cream, so I thought I’d share just in case anyone wants to try it!
It’s called GLYSOLID and you can buy it on amazon for £6 - it has a very high contents of glycerol which is what was in the dermatological cream. It’s been a life saver.
Last edited by talkhealth on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: URL removed

MattLampitt

by MattLampitt on Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:27 am

Thank you for the recommendation kate. I have just ordered some. “Glysolid for the skin 250ml” hope it’s the same stuff you are referring too.

The Avino stuff was okay but doesn’t work with my eyes :-/

12 posts