Good Cream that works!!!

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

68 posts
JulieR

by JulieR on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Moisturisers and Emollients

My daughter has been clear for 5 years. We are convinced and willing to share.

Puddleduck

by Puddleduck on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 pm

For the past few months I've been using the SOS range: barrier hand cream and face & body cream. I find it better than the stuff I've had on prescription:

I've tried Diprobase, Epaderm and Cetraben. Cetraben didn't work at all and I find Diprobase has to be reapplied every hour. Epaderm is better, but I can only use it at night or when skin is covered, and this isn't any use for hands during the day.

I've also been buying Neal's Yard stellaria cream and calendula cream, and find them useful for the days in between using steroidal creams.
There's also an Aderma Exomega cream which contains omega oils. It's not as easy to get hold of as either SOS or Neal's Yard, but is very good: better than Diprobase.

JulieR

by JulieR on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 pm

How long have you had skin issues?

Puddleduck

by Puddleduck on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:28 pm

I had infantile atopic eczema which vanished when I was a toddler, then it reappeared with a vengeance at 17 and it has been around, on and off and worsening with each flare since then. I'm now 32.

JulieR

by JulieR on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Have you done any research on building your immune system? Or reducing things that may harm your immune system?

Puddleduck

by Puddleduck on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi Julie,

It's not clear whether my immune system is overactive or underactive. I've been consulting a nutritional therapist for the past few months and am on a range of supplements which help the immune system to work optimally and the gut to absorb nutrients. I've also been on a mostly organic diet for the past year, hardly eat wheat and have taken all possible measures to avoid problematic chemicals, have addressed all my allergies, have dust mite
barrier covers on bed and bedding...I've even been growing some of my own fruit and veg to avoid pesticides. My body has had a great deal to contend with over the past few years, having had surgery twice and also been on a GnRH agonist drug called Zoladex for another condition. I know part of the eczema is genetic (from my father's side).

JulieR

by JulieR on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:58 pm

Sounds like you are on the right path. How are you doing with dairy?

What kind of supplements are you taking?

I'm assuming you've done some allergy testing? Not that it worked for my daughter until we did an elimination diet. That was more effective than getting poked and stuck with needles.

Puddleduck

by Puddleduck on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 am

I've had serum IgE tests (high IgE and allergies to dust mite, pollens, animal dander and shellfish: I've had shellfish anaphylaxis). I've had patch testing and have tried elimination diets. Food is not thought to play a part in triggering the eczema, but I know myself that a lot of dairy and wheat can make it worse. I only drink Jersey milk, which is better for me than either organic or ordinary milk.
I've also had candidiasis since the age of seven and it's one of the hardest things to eradicate. No doubt that's connected to the immune dysfunction which also relates to eczema.

Armour

by Armour on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Um...I've been using diprobase. I've been prescribed epaderm before, but I can't stand ointments very much because they lay on the skin for ages and make my clothes sticky:( Maybe diprobase isn't so good...my skin feels dry all the time. I found that E45 stung my skin alot and made it itchy. I couldn'y stand that stuff. I've also been using hydrocortisone for a vast ammount of my life (I'm 16 now) and it has thinned my skin alot in places, non of the moisturisers I have used ever make the skin appear healthier:(:(:( I'm not sure I can go to any great lengths to help myself so things will probably stay the way they are. The doctors always say the same things aswell, it never helps.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Have you seen a dermatologist or just your GP. It sounds like you need more help. Have you tried wet wrapping?
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

68 posts