Good Cream that works!!!

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

68 posts
Citrine

by Citrine on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Moisturisers and Emollients

Just thought I'd pop the link on for Udderly Smooth - Its had rave reviews from eczema sufferers, and some of the people came off of steroids once they started using this!!!

Have a look, and I think they'll send you a free sample or two!!

Alibongo

by Alibongo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks!
Alison

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:29 pm

We have had repeated problems with Hydromol Ointment.

We use it when my son's eczema is in flare up so the skin is sensitive and painful. The problem is from the manufacturing process which leaves cristals in the ointment which feel like anything from fine sand to course grit. The last thing you want to be rubbing onto poorly skin! The manufacturer was very helpful and explained it does not affect the nature of the ointment. But when you have a crying 3 year old it is NOT good to be rubbing into eczema. I returned 3 batches of cream. The manufacturer said they need to know otherwise they assume all is well after their quality control checks. But still I find the same problem. I need this ointment but have been using other less suitable cream to avoid the problem. Has anyone else found the same??
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

steve1wilk

by steve1wilk on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:18 pm

Our son developed eczema when he was about two months old, it started on his folds then spread to the rest of his body, the only area that was spared was his nappy region.

I can only tell you what worked for our son, it’s not a cure but the treatment we have discovered has improved his skin 99.9% to the point where we don’t consider he has eczema anymore just very sensitive skin.
As with any treatment you should patch test first as every baby is different.

We tried all the creams and ointments the doctors could prescribe but his skin just seemed to be getting worse, we were just putting 50/50 on him in the end and he was screaming when it was applied. So I decided to investigate if there was any alternative treatment, using the internet I discovered all these ointments are mineral oil based and mineral oil can be very drying for the skin they also they contain some very worrying chemicals one being SLS (sodium laurel sulphate) which started life as an industrial degreaser. SLS is also hidden in emulsifying wax.
I just couldn’t believe that they were asking us to put this stuff on our baby!!

After a lot of research I now make my own cream using unrefined shea butter, karanja oil, jojoba oil and coconut oil. I fill a beaba 300ml jar with the shea butter melt this submerged up to the lid in hot water (you have to keep refilling the hot water till the shea butter is melted) then add 50ml of karanja oil and 50 ml of jojoba oil two tea spoons of coconut oil stir well let this set overnight then stir again put in the fridge to set totally if necessary. This can all be brought from Shea butter cottage. I have been using this since January 2008 and his skin has improved beyond belief. You need to try this for at least a month to see improvement.

For bathing I use porridge oats wrapped in a muslin cloth secured with elastic band, run this under the hot tap and squeeze in the bath water, this helps soothe itching skin.

If you are using hydrocortisone (only use the ointment formula) we have found you have to wean the skin off of it by appling it for two weeks then every other day for one week then every third day and so on, otherwise you get a rebound affect where the skin just flares up worse again.

Other useful tips:
Don’t use Johnsons top and tail on a new born babies skin.
Use Surcare washing powder and always do an extra rinse.
Make sure the baths not too hot no more than 36.4 degrees.
Use 100% cotton clothing. Keep them on the cool side of warm.
Use cotton wool and plain water when changing nappies.
Cut and file nails as short as possible.
Use a baby sleeping bag if age and temperature appropriate to stop them itching their body while asleep.
Use an anti-allergen mattress cover.

Good luck I hope this will/has helped someone else with this terrible curse.

Useful links.

Raw materials for cream http://www.akuawood.co.uk/
Body wash http://www.essential-care.co.uk
Sun cream http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/no-scent-c ... 150ml.aspx
Coping with eczema http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068730/

ben2311

by ben2311 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi , have been using aveeno cream for the last couple of weeks and it have improved my eczema no end and the skin on my face is now completely normal , still use it morning and night and i would recomend it to anyone.

JulieR

by JulieR on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:47 am

Definately, RENEW lotion. And of course eating well, taking supplements and improving our indoor air quality has done wonders!!

ymufc

by ymufc on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:04 am

i find the best remedy for me is lots and lots of water and then, johnsons baby oil the spray on one, palmers cocoa butter and boots make vaseline it keeps me moisturesed alll freaking day!!! and i had it bad i feel as if i can do anything now!

JulieR

by JulieR on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:53 pm

The baby oil was awful for my daughter, glad it works for you though. We've truly switched to prevention rather than covering the symptoms and have had great success. It's so nice to have a NORMAL life now. If I could show you something that prevents the skin problems, would there be any reason you would not want to take a look?

Julie

ymufc

by ymufc on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:08 am

it was awful for me aswell but after a few days it got better. i think with some things people dont try the product long enough to really see how it reacts, of course if you put something new on your skin your going to have a reaction. No there wouldnt be a reason why i wouldnt take a look if i can get rid of it totally it would be amazing!

68 posts