Withdrawn from prescription

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

7 posts
DanielMB

by DanielMB on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 am

Withdrawn from prescription

Hi I just had to contact my GP surgery about my prescription. They told me the Dermol 600 was no longer available on prescription which I was expecting after having seen news articles about bath emollients being withdrawn.

However the receptionist also informed me that the Dermol 500 was no longer available on prescription either!

I spent 2 weeks in hospital a while back due to a severe skin infection and while I was there they repeatedly stressed the importance of using Dermol 500 to prevent any further skin infections.

Has my GP surgery got this wrong or is this correct? This seems utter madness! I live on an exceptionally tight budget and use a prescription prepayment- if I have to purchase these items myself it’s going to have a major impact on me.
Last edited by DanielMB on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:46 am

Re: Withdrawn from prescription

Sorry to hear about the frustrations.. I'm not sure how to obtain the same item from prescription as our healthcare system is different.. An alternative product is to use Octenisan (also anti-microbial liquid bath) or use the low cost 100% paraffin, and then take steps to reduce staph bacteria such as quick wipe of the skin area with chlorhexidine gluconate.. maybe you can share whether the alternatives are available at the reduced cost? take care, hope all works out for you.
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

DanielMB

by DanielMB on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:52 am

I just edited original post as I got Dermol 500 and 600 the wrong way round

yahayaluqman

by yahayaluqman on Sat May 06, 2023 10:00 pm

Maybe you should consider asking your GP for alternative options or treatments that may be available to you. They may be able to provide you with some helpful advice or suggest other options that could work just as well for you.

sunilgangwar

by sunilgangwar on Wed May 10, 2023 3:53 pm

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I just wanted to say that it's understandable that you're feeling frustrated and concerned about the impact it might have on your budget. Have you considered reaching out to your GP to clarify if the information you received is accurate? In addition, I wanted to mention that you may also want to consider using a discount prescription card to save on medications. These cards can offer significant savings of up to 80% off the cost of prescription drugs and may be a great option for you, especially if you're on a tight budget.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:34 am

Withdrawal is otherwise called detoxification or detox. It's the point at which you quit , or cut back, on utilizing liquor or different medications. You might have fostered a physical or mental reliance on a medication, or both. Side effects during withdrawal can be gentle or serious, contingent upon: how long you've been utilizing for.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:32 pm

sunilgangwar wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 3:53 pm
Apologies for reviving this thread, but I just wanted to say that it's understandable that you're feeling frustrated and concerned about the impact it might have on your budget. Have you considered reaching out to your GP to clarify if the information you received is accurate? In addition, I wanted to mention that you may also want to consider using a discount prescription card to save on medications. These cards can offer significant savings of up to 80% off the cost of prescription drugs and may be a great option for you, especially if you're on a tight budget.
This sounds like a good idea. Since your doctor won't prescribe you your medication having a discount on its cost will greatly help.

I'd follow this advice.

7 posts