Hyperpigmentation

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
12talk

by 12talk on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Hyperpigmentation

Hi everyone,

I'm 26 years old and I've had atopic eczema my entire life. It has been (and pretty much always will be) the worst part of my life. It has caused me levels of depression that I cannot begin to describe, and I'm sure I don't need to as I know that I am sadly not alone in this circumstance.

In the last 3 years I've used 2 different types of treatment - Cellcept and Phototherapy.

Cellcept worked wonders but I was only on it for a few months (for safety reasons). Afterwards I just used moisturizers to keep my skin from drying up and on occasion I used a steroid cream on a portion of skin which had flared up.

I've been on Phototherapy for the last year and it too has worked well. I go for treatments every few days and use moisturizers to prevent dry skin.

For the past 15years I've been suffering from a condition called hyperpigmentation which is caused by Eczema. Hyperpigmentation causes dark patches of skin. Over time it’s gotten progressively worse and my skin has darkened all over, not just in certain patches.

While I still have total body eczema, I am hoping to at least battle the pigmentation problem that I have, seeing that the phototherapy is working quite well.

In my next appointment with my Dermatologist, I plan on discussing with him the various ways of treating the pigmentation and hopefully returning my skin to its normal complexion.

I would appreciate any comments on this. Has anyone else suffered from such an extreme case of hyperpigmentation, where their entire body has been darkened? And does anyone know of any possible successful treatments?

Different treatments work differently on each person, and I wish you all well in your search for that truly remarkable treatment that may change your life.

rani

by rani on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 am

Re: Hyperpigmentation

Hello,

I pretty much relate to you, I have suffer atopic dermatitis since I was about 5 years old. Today I am 21 and still suffering and have worsen since then. The doctor says its due to the stress that I take on. To me it makes sense, because my eczema only started worsening when I start university. I am entering my third year of university and the more stress I get, the more break outs I find I get.

Before I only had the eczema severely on my hands up to my elbows, and on my neck. Now it has spread up my arms to my shoulders, behind my knees, and just recently around my ankles. Even my stomach has started getting the hyper pigmentation. My stomach up to just under my breast is very dark. I used to be really fair, now I'm multi-coloured.

Every time I just get used to being the way I am, something new pops up on me, and brings me down again. My legs I used to wear cupris all the time, now I feel reluctant to do so. I know I shouldn't I should be stronger, but sometimes...It's hard.

Just the other day, I went around applying for jobs, and a couple stores that had signs saying they were hiring, rejected me. Maybe it's me thinking too much into it, but why would you keep your sign up like that saying you are hiring and then look me straight in the face and say you are not.

I don't know, I understand your whole depression thing. I think I face that too, sometimes just looking at myself I'm like this is who I am! Who cares what others think, but then other days, I just wish I didn't wake up...

School gets harder, and the more stress I get, not only do I get more break outs, but also suffer from eczema herpiticum. Which I usually get on my neck or face. Its such a stressful part of life being a sufferer of both these things. Because once I get the break out for the eczema herpiticum, I have to get medicine for it to stop it from spreading all over my body, which costs a lot.

ITS SOOOO ANNNOYING. Because I need to work in order to pay for all these things. Just sometimes it takes a toll on me I guess, and this is why I am going on and on about it.

It's good to know that there are others out there.

For now I just use herbal stuff and vaseline to keep my skin moisture. If this phototherapy is helping you, I think I am going to consult my doctor about it. For the years that I have suffered this, the one best advice I can give is that not to use these medicines that dr's prescribe with all these chemicals and stuff. It is not good for your skin, it worsens it in the long run. Aveno products help a lot with moisturizing.

Parents, for your children suffering at young ages, try not to stress them out and make them feel like "they are different" psychologically, which is known for a fact, it makes them worst than they already are. A lot of us who suffer from eczema need to learn to relax, which is very hard to do in this day and time. But I find whenever I go on vacation, away from the world I am usually in, my eczema clears up more. Maybe go away for a while, and see what happens.

Good luck too all.

12talk

by 12talk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey,

Its unfortunate but we do live in a world where people may shun you due to imperfections caused by the eczema. This is probably the reason you were turned down an opportunity to even apply for the job. Thankfully though not everyone is so prejudiced.

It may take a while for you to find a job and it may seem like you fighting a losing battle but if you just persist and hang in there, I’m sure an opportunity will turn up.

“They” say we should be stronger and that who cares what others think but we are only human and you right… sometimes it’s just really really hard to beat the depression.

Stress also gives me problems. I recommend you speak to the doc about phototherapy. There are advantages and disadvantages/possible risks but overall it’s very helpful, even just in moderation.

I’m almost certain that this treatment will help minimise the break outs even in the middle of exams.

All the best.

jannis

by jannis on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:18 am

hi!

this might be coming in late already but i just want to voice out some points.

first, how is eczema different from or similar with hyperpigmentation?

what are some effective cures and what are the treatments that you need to be avoided?

Would skin lightening creams like Metaderm work? (I heard that it's effective against melasma and hyperpigmentation so I'm interested to give it a try.)

Thank you so much!

4 posts