no more repeat prescriptions

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
ricksbar

by ricksbar on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 pm

no more repeat prescriptions

Hi

I joined the forum to ask this question.

My new GP says the area I've moved into have stopped prescribing a list of meds that can be bought over the counter. The leaflet says GPs "will no longer be able to routinely prescribe these self-care medicines" and the GP said steroid creams come under "Topical steroids for short term use (up to a week) for bites, stings or mild dermatitis".

I understand the reason is to reduce costs to the NHS but the steroids I use aren't hydrocortisone. I use mometasone (Elocon) and betamethasone (Betnovate RD) for a strong and weaker steroid and are only available on prescription. I've used hydrocortisone before and found it ineffective.

She said I won't get any more repeat prescriptions for steroid creams and I'll have to see her when I get another flare up to get more. IMO that means let my eczema go bad to 'prove' to her I need my current steroids. I was pretty upset after I got home.

Should steroid creams for eczema be restricted or has she misinterpreted the rules? Has this happened to anybody else?

Thanks in advance

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: no more repeat prescriptions

Hi ricksbar,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the talkhealth forums.

We are sorry to hear about the problems you are having. If you are worried that you GP has misinterpreted the rules, it may be worth getting a second opinion from another GP or a dermatologist.

Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
The talkhealth Team
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

eczemaliving

by eczemaliving on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Re: no more repeat prescriptions

Hi Ricksbar,

I m sorry to hear about the problems you are having. I can feel your pain, because my experience in managing my son’s severe eczema, food allergies, asthma,

A few people had used topical immunosuppressants. A well-known example of this is Protopic (tacrolimus). Immunosuppressant creams/ointments don’t contain steroids but were sometimes confused with being one.

One example of immunosuppressants is Protopic (tacrolimus) creams and ointments. Aadam said he liked that Protopic could be used for eczema on the face (because it isn’t a steroid) but that it gave him a bruise-like rash when he tried it. Maham’s doctor once suggested she try it but another doctor didn’t feel it was necessary. Others, like Georgia, were still worried that strong topical creams would be bad for her health long term.

Topical immunosuppressant creams can sting when first put on, but this usually stops with continued use. Georgia found that Protopic made her skin sting, get redder and hot at first.

But I Will suggest you these home remedies for eczema can help control eczema in an effective manner and prevent eczema flareups. It is highly recommended to include these eczema home remedies as a part of daily eczema-care regime.
Hopefully this link will be very helpful : http://eczemaliving.com/home-remedies-f ... flare-ups/
Nav Gosal
Founder and CEO - https://eczemaliving.com/
Twitter: @eczemaliving
Email Contact : eczemaliving@gmail.com

3 posts