hydrocortisone for eyelid - concerned

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
IngeS234

by IngeS234 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:33 am

hydrocortisone for eyelid - concerned

Hello - I just discovered this community and joined today.

My question as briefly as I can. I had something happening on my eyelid for a couple of weeks, but couldn't see my own eyelid. When I got someone to look, there was a reddish patch. At present there is like a fat dandruff scab, maybe some thickened skin. I went to a walk-in clinic. The doctor said it was "eczema" and prescribed hydrocortisone acetate 1% with no more instruction than not to get it in my eye, not use it more than 10 days, and it can thin the skin.

I looked up the product and saw advice not to use it on the face (unless directed by a doctor), and a warning that near the eye it could get into the bloodstream and " may cause increased eye pressure, glaucoma, or cataracts ....". I'm 65, and have the beginning of a cataract in that eye.

I am feeling uneasy about this, and realize I don't know anything about eczema.

In case it's pertinent: two weeks ago I volunteered nearby where a small tornado had torn roofs off some houses, and the fibreglass insulation was on the ground like snow, and blowing about in the breeze. I'm wondering about irritant - is this even eczema and does it get treated with steroids when so close to the eye?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Re: hydrocortisone for eyelid - concerned

Hi IngeS234

Thank you for your post.

We would suggest returning to your doctor and discussing your concerns with them as the first point. They may be able to prescribe an alternative medicine.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

IngeS234

by IngeS234 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Thank you - I've subscribed to it. In the meantime, I see that I've ended up opening the same topic twice, because I thought the first one had not "gelled" because I had written it too soon. Maybe a mod would like to delete the other one so as not to confuse the members? :) (Sorry about that - still finding my way around).

IngeS234

by IngeS234 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:23 pm

In regard to my own question, here is what I have found out so far:

I went to the local pharmacist who was shocked that I would put hydrocortisone on an eyelid. She cited what I had found out, esp. the risk of eye pressure (glaucoma) and cataracts. I happen to have a beginning cataract in that eye, and want to do things to slow it down, if anything, not speed it up. Also, thinning of the skin is more acute on the eyelid because of its makeup. The doctor I had gone so was in a walk-in clinic (my dr. just retired), saw me for about 60 seconds or less.

I bought Aveeno - the active ingredient being an oatmeal derivative with the properties of: locking in moisture, anti-inflammatory, captures UV rays. No side effects listed there, as with hydroc. Pharmacist liked this. I put only a small dab on the scab, in case I'd have some kind of allergic reaction and it was night; I've survived it. A bit of itching - eyelid feels less like it's got a patch of rigid cardboard embedded.

I must say that having this near the eye scared me to death. Being without a physician makes you feel vulnerable. Canada has evolved a situation, ever since the "reform" in my province in the late 1990's which dismantled hospitals and lost health care professionals. If you lose a family doctor, chances are you won't find another. Being able to join this group just takes away a bit of this being alone in it.

Meanwhile I see this:
We would suggest returning to your doctor and discussing your concerns with them as the first point. They may be able to prescribe an alternative medicine.
At best, I found a seedy clinic with the doctor who saw me for 60 seconds. I'm hoping a family member can persuade their family doctor to take me on as a patient. Self-diagnosis via forums is not my preferred line of action.

4 posts