itchy after applying cream/ointment

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

7 posts
Madacram

by Madacram on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:43 am

itchy after applying cream/ointment

Hi - my daughter (6 yrs old) has eczema + egg/nut allergies. Whenever we apply skin treatments, ointments, or lotions (curel, aquaphor, vaseline, coconut oil, aveeno, eucerin) she gets very itchy. Whether to moisturize during the day or immediately after the shower, she will itch/scratch for about 10 minutes after application. I imagine it's the "transition" for her skin. Any advice on what to do? Thank you for any help!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: itchy after applying cream/ointment

Hi Madacram

Thank you for your post. Have a look at our free support programme, myeczema child, https://bit.ly/2O1uW3X for additional support and advice. We would recommend that you check with your GP about the itching or your local pharmacist for additional advice.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 am

Hi! I have a daughter with eczema too, and over the years, I haven't noticed that the skin gets more itchy after moisturizing - I'm thinking you may want to do a patch test or for the moment, distract her from scratching as it could be the attention on the skin that makes her 'remember' the itch. I did crazy ways to distract my kid from scratching, like play games, make noise, look here, look there, look in mirror etc! You could try putting your moisturizer in the fridge and see if the more cooling sensation helps :)
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

CastorOil4Eczema

by CastorOil4Eczema on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:22 am

I recommend wetting the area for 15 minutes b4 applying the oil. I use homemade wet wraps (old clothing & water). The moisture calms the skin.

Castor oil works best for me. Coconut oil works on light itches but not on heavy rashes, broken skin and open sores. Castor Oil for Eczema in Comparison to other oils and creams It is thicker than coconut oil and hemp oil. It has more types of fatty acids than coconut oil which repair the skin. It is a cost effective oil. It is much less expensive than almost every other oil used to heal eczema. The other oils are trendier than castor oil so they can charge more just because they're more popular. It has a bad reputation from kids who were forced to drink castor oil in the past. The price per ounce of castor oil is about the same as coconut oil (from those that process both) but because coconut oil is thinner, it will last longer.

CastorOil4Eczema

by CastorOil4Eczema on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:42 pm

I like to recommend wet wraps because they're quicker and more convenient. Really the true way to moisture the skin is using the soak and smear method - warm tub body soak 15 min, pay dry then smear oil/ointment over the entire body (I use castor oil in the inflamed areas). I know that baths are more time consuming nevertheless they're worth it. It provides the skin with much more moisture than showers.

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:42 am

These responses might incorporate consuming, crusting, dryness, chipping, tingling, overflowing, torment, redness, bruises or ulcers, or enlarging. Scarring or super durable color change from the cream is extremely strange.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed May 24, 2023 11:09 am

CastorOil4Eczema wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:42 pm
I like to recommend wet wraps because they're quicker and more convenient. Really the true way to moisture the skin is using the soak and smear method - warm tub body soak 15 min, pay dry then smear oil/ointment over the entire body (I use castor oil in the inflamed areas). I know that baths are more time consuming nevertheless they're worth it. It provides the skin with much more moisture than showers.
This is brilliant advice: I'd follow it.

I don't have eczema myself but my brother had it growing up. We had to smear E45 all over him. But this post offers a good alternative. My guess is it will work wonders.

7 posts