Castor Oil Topically for Eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

6 posts
CastorOil4Eczema

by CastorOil4Eczema on Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:28 am

Castor Oil Topically for Eczema

Data shows why castor oil works for most of the people that tried it. The skin barrier or acid mantle is made up of a layers of dead skin cells bound together by a mixture of fatty acids, ceramides and cholesterol lipids that prevents loss of water from the deeper layers of the skin also to stop harmful elements from penetrating into the skin. This can get damaged. It can also be repaired. Pressed from the seeds of the castor plant. The oil is composed of fatty acids, 90% of which is ricinoleic acid which is unique. The acid has antimicrobial properties, anti-inflammatory properties, helps lubricate the skin and lock in moisture. It provides skin with the missing fatty acids. Castor oil is a pure, all natural plant oil (plant oils contain nutrients) so it doesn't harm the skin. It can be used on open skin. It can be found at most pharmacies (CVS) although you'll get a better deal online. It's also important to note that this may not be the only problem which is why it doesn't work for everyone. Because most eczema is internal it is important to address that. Nevertheless it doesn't mean that you have to pick one or the other.

Castor oil is working great for me. Before using it I had open eczema sores, broken skin and rashes all over my lower legs. Half way thru the night, I would have to reapply wet wraps. 5 weeks later, it's 90% gone. I can sleep thru the night. It's 95% gone on my lower legs but 10 days after I started using it, it spread to other parts of my body as a light rash so you may want to use it on your whole body. I was applying it 4 times a day. Now I'm down to once a day and no longer need wet wraps. My eczema is down to a light itch now and then.

Update: 6 weeks later my eczema stopped itching. I didn't need the oil. For the rest of the spring and the heat of the summer, I had no issues. Unfortunately when the weather got cooler in August (caught me off guard), my skin start to itch again (the air is drier in fall and winter). Not as bad as before but enough where I have to manage it. I was using wet wraps (I use wet socks/clothes 15-30 minutes) then apply castor oil or do a soak and smear (warm tub body soak 15 min then smear castor oil). It was helping to manage it but not as healing as in the early spring. So I decided to try castor oil packs. To create castor oil packs grab a piece of cloth and soak it in the oil. Once soaked, apply the cloth to the affected area. Place a heating source (hot water bottle) on top of the cloth to allow the castor oil to react with the skin. Complete this process for about thirty minutes to ensure you are fully benefiting from it. So far, this has really helped.
Last edited by CastorOil4Eczema on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CastorOil4Eczema

by CastorOil4Eczema on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:40 am

Re: Castor Oil Topically for Eczema

Castor Oil for Eczema in Comparison to other oils and creams
It is thicker than coconut oil and hemp oil. It has more types of fatty acids than coconut oil which repair the skin. It is a cost effective oil. It is much less expensive than almost every other oil used to heal eczema. The other oils are trendier than castor oil so they can charge more just because they're more popular. Due to the repercussions of kids who were forced to drink castor oil in the past, castor oil gets no love. The price per ounce of castor oil is about the same as coconut oil (from those that process both) but because coconut oil is thinner, it will last longer.

I have better success with castor oil. Coconut oil worked on light itches but not on my broken skin, open sores and heavy rashes.

Creams are typically water based and have alcohol (which causes dryness).

Thank you "Eczema Gone" for the recommendation.

elongy12

by elongy12 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Some extra virgin oils that I use (coconut especially) really help to ease the itch and heal damaged skin. I usually apply it in autumn and winter to prevent skin condition worsening.
Last edited by talkhealth on Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed

CastorOil4Eczema

by CastorOil4Eczema on Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Unfortunately the cooler autumn weather arrived a little early this year in my area. My skin felt it quicker than I could prepare for it. Wet wraps and castor oil have kept it from getting too inflamed. Luckily it is only on a small portion of my body. Since the air is drier in the cooler months, I need to apply oil several times daily in the affect areas whereas in the summer I barely need the oil. I do use cold pressed castor oil which keep more nutrients in the oil. I do use ev coconut oil on nonaffected areas of body once a day in the cooler months.

agata7ar

by agata7ar on Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:18 pm

I found out that the best oils for treatment eczema are:

Tea tree oil
Peppermint oil
Calendula oil
Borage oil

CastorOil4Eczema

by CastorOil4Eczema on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 pm

I recommend making a peppermint oil out of castor oil and peppermint leaves rather than buying a generic peppermint oil. In many cases it is a cheap generic oil infused with peppermint leaves.

6 posts