Heat to control the pain and itching of Atopic Dermatitis

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
JColombani

by JColombani on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:25 am

Heat to control the pain and itching of Atopic Dermatitis

Hello all,

To follow is a response to a post that I shared earlier, I would like to repost it here because I would like input from others who read this. I use very warm water when the itching and pain in my hands get too intense for me to handle and makes me feel terrible.

The heat is not enough to burn my hands, I use warm water from the sink and slowly increase the heat until I can't stand it. However, I am finding that I am starting to like the heat and look forward to the scalding and relief. I have the fortune, or misfortune, of having a waterheater that puts out very hot water.

I want to ask if anyone else has had this experience or any other to control the symptoms of their Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis. I want to know if anyone thinks this is dangerous. I also want your opinion of the response I gave earlier.

Thank you, Jaime C

PREVIOUS RESPONSE to ECZEMA TREATMENT

Hello and thank you for everyone's inspirational experiences.

I have had atopic dermatitis / eczema strait for about two years now, I had it off and on in my hands since I my 20s but didn't know what it was, dr.s would give me a small tube of steroid cream and the episode would go away. I am 50 know. I also had something similar when I was a child, it was brown discolored rash in the bends of my arms, arm pits, and backs of my knees. Dr said it could be fungus and they prescribed me steroid and antifungal creams way back then. Well I grew out of it..... for a while.

I use the steroid cream then apply non-gloves and sleep with them overnight to help control the bad episodes. It is mostly in my hands, I figured it was because I was in the medical field and washed my hands so many times or it was exposure to the gloves. I also thought it was an infection I caught from a patient. Everything crossed my mind. I have asthma, and am allergic to soaps and bleach.

One day I was washing dishes and accidently put my hands into scalding hot what, my hands were already in a lot of pain and itching horribly so I didn't notice until the feeling was intense, like fire and ice at the same time.

Well I found that the scalding took away the itching and the swelling would subside a little. Although it is not a cure, I routinely scald my hands like a masochist now. My mom thinks it is bad but it helps me to control the itching and pain. Weird, I cure one pain with another pain. However, the scalding only lasts about 3 minutes, I don't burn my hands! Just until they turn slightly red.

Your letters here have inspired me, I will try the castor oil and neem leaf rub, I detest camphor and will not use it. Thank you, I am going to open another blog to find out if others have found heat to work also.

Jaime C

CastorOil4Eczema

by CastorOil4Eczema on Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:18 pm

Re: Heat to control the pain and itching of Atopic Dermatiti

I would be careful since hot water can dry out the skin. A heat method with oil absorption is
Castor oil packs - grab a piece of cloth and soak it in the oil. Once soaked, apply the cloth to the affected area. Place a heating source (hot water bottle) on top of the cloth to allow the castor oil to react with the skin. Complete this process for about thirty minutes to ensure you are fully benefiting from it.
Last edited by CastorOil4Eczema on Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Avesta88

by Avesta88 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:56 pm

Re: Heat to control the pain and itching of Atopic Dermatiti

Yes, I can relate to your position.

At times where my hands are unbearable itchy, I also sometimes scold them with hot water, untill I can't bear the heat no longer.

The hot water relieves me of the itchyness and gives me a kind of painful satisfaction (although it isn't nearly as painful, as it is satisfactory.).

I quess it makes sense, after all eczema sometimes is translated into 'scolded hands'

3 posts