New sufferer and 'cures' requested

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
Minor Figure

by Minor Figure on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:35 pm

New sufferer and 'cures' requested

Hello all,

Firstly, let me kick off by saying I am totally on board with what works for one may not work for another, and that everyone suffers with eczema in one, way, shape or form and how they deal with it may be unique to them. I'm also conscious that there may be many different causes, such as water hardness and pollution, etc. That said, I'll try to keep this a short intro and request for help, but fear it turn slightly lengthy...

I'm a 32 year old male and have never had any kind of skin condition, aside from a bit of dandruff which I'd manage through washing my hair every other day (and use Nizoral as directed or when needed). I've also always had skin flakes that I'd pick out my ears but never really thought anything else of it until now! At about 30 years old, I started to develop a red patch under one of my eyes and on the side of my nose. I thought this was brought on by the stress of my then relationship - at the time I was moisturising every day and using a high-end brand for face wash and moisturisers.

I then made a few lifestyle choices and wanted to get away from refined and manufactured products, so I started to use more natural oils and, in particular, coconut oil, for putting on my skin for moisturising. And so for a long time that worked very well and my skin was great, the red patch a thing of the past. However, the red patch returned, and so I tried and used more oils. Eventually I went to the pharmacy and doctors. The pharmacy told me to use Epiderm cream, Eucerin Replenshing Cream, and E45, none of which worked on their own. The only thing that seemed to work for me was Hydrocortisone Micanazole prescribed from the doctor, who confirmed that I had Seborrhoeic Dermatitis. This, I am told, I shouldn't be using every day but, to be honest, I do feel I need to use it most days.

It should be said that I've always tried to find the quick fix, so haven't necessarily given the other creams the chances they may deserve. Similarly with my hair, I have bounced from Nizoral shampoo to E45 to Neutrogena and another.

I'm now just plastering a load of moisturiser on at any opportunity to keep any issues at bay, but without any real direction, and as for my scalp... Not really got a clue.

So, what I'm after is what works for you? What is your skin care regime? What products have you used and what work for you? And these are questions for dealing with scalp as well as face / ears.

Any help greatly appreciated.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: New sufferer and 'cures' requested

Hi,

thanks for posting on the forum. Hopefully you will get lots of other tips and ideas in dealing with this issue from our other members shortly.

You may also be interested in signing up on a patient support programme that we run specifically relating to dry skin here: http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/psp/mydryskin.php Where we offer lots of free information.

Hope this helps, but let us know how you get on.

Regards

Talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Re: New sufferer and 'cures' requested

Whenever my daughter has mild eczema around eyes, we would use the mildest desonide lotion and then diligent moisturize her face with a more expensive lotion containing ceramides and reducing inflammation. Also take anti-histamines. It would then clear up within a few days and stay that way for a few months.. take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

3 posts