Toctino - anyone tried it? I would like to hear from you!

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

97 posts
BeverleyP

by BeverleyP on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Toctino - anyone tried it? I would like to hear from yo

Finally got my appointment through so hopefully will be starting my treatment on Toctino. One question i have after reviewing this product that concerns me is side affect of back pain. I suffer with trochanteric bursitis and I am just a little concerned as to whether this treatment might make matters even worse. Will enquire with my dermatologist when I go but has anyone experienced this with the medication. Thankyou

andym1985

by andym1985 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm curious about the side effects and a little nervous to agree to use this medication. Have many people experienced hair loss/thinning as a result of using Toctino? Thank you for such an insightful thread!!

conitchewa

by conitchewa on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:39 pm

Andy M - regarding hair loss. I did lose a bit of hair, I have lots of it and its long straight and dark so although noticeable to me I did not have any actual bald patches, just general thinning all around. Not upper either but the lower underneath hair. It did all come back once I discontinued the medication and oddly the new growth is quite different than my usual growth and I have way more body now so my hair in my opinon is better than ever. Good Luck.

andym1985

by andym1985 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Thank you for that - I'd be interested to hear from anyone else too.
I'm glad to hear that your hair thickened again after the treatment stopped.

foulatina

by foulatina on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi Konitchewa.
I am interested to know if only after 2 sessions on Toctino you managed to controll the problem... Is there anyone who has taken it for more than 2 sessions in order to have results? I have the problem on my feet and it has completely changed my life...

Achilles

by Achilles on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:05 am

Hi Everyone,

I've gone through four treatments of Toctino for my chronic hand and foot eczema now. The drug has made my condition manageable, but has not cured it. I don't know what I'd do without it.

The first time I was on for six months, off for close to five months.

The second time I was on for four months and off for about seven months. I went off early this time because my cholesterol was up and my hands and feet were clear.

The third time I was on for five months and off for about eight months. This was a real good run.

And the fourth time I was on for three months, and I've now been off for close to four months. I went off early this time again due to rising cholesterol, but I had also decided to try to go on and off quicker because the drug usually clears things up completely within three months so why go on longer and risk rising cholesterol and other potential side effects.

Each time on the drug was a little different, but essentially the drug worked quickly clearing up the hands and feet within two to four weeks, though the feet took a little longer to clear. Once healed and off the drug, the eczema would begin to return on the hands within two to four weeks, but would not return to the feet until four to eight months. The repeated treatments have made the eczema less severe: I don't get the unbearable itch anymore and the fissures are not as deep and painful usually. The condition has been tamed such that I don't need to go back onto Toctino until the eczema returns to my feet, when the painful cracks make it horrible to walk.

Aside from the increase in cholesterol (which is concerning), I don't experience any other major side effects. I get a moderate headache the first time I take the drug each treatment, but it's gone the next day. Three or so hours after taking the drug, I get mildly congested. I do think the drug flattens my emotions a bit though--I don't get depressed but I'm not quite as joyful, I think.

Like I said, I'm currently off the drug for about four months and my blood test just revealed my cholesterol is higher than back when I was taking the drug. Two of the four times my cholesterol didn't even go up; one of the other times it went back down right after I stopped taking the drug. This time it didn't go back down and I'm concerned about that. I want to be able to know that I can rely on the drug in the future and not experience risky cholesterol levels.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. All the best.

sanidin66

by sanidin66 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:32 pm

first i must say this is the most informative thread on toctino ive found over the internet . so keep the updates guys.
my question is how Toctino goes along with weight training or any other physical training. I can see on the medication's guide that I should avoid intensive physical exercise and its a huge problem for me.
did you feel any joints or muscles pain during treatment?

Bee_Tee71

by Bee_Tee71 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi
I took the higher dose Toctino for 3 months starting in December 2014. Apart from mild headaches it was a huge releif to not be constantly scratching my hands as I had done for the previous 5 years. The eczema cleared up completely after about 6 weeks and it was fantastic to have normal hands again and to not feel disgusting from scratching.
However I had my first ever migraine in the February that did not clear until I was phsically sick, I felt awful. I then had another in the March that floored me for 4 days. It was at this point I stopped taking the Toctino as I couldn't live like that. Since I stopped taking the Toctino the eczema has gradually crept back but nowhere near as bad as it had been. maybe this is because I got more on top of the topical treatment before it developed and use Protopic most nights and Dermovate when needed, sometimes both together and I sleep with vinyl gloves on to stop it getting everywhere. I also take anti histamines to try to help with the itching which is worse at night and first thing in the morning.
The main reason for my post is the after effects of this drug. My periods stopped whilst I was taking it and I was displaying menopausal symtpoms including the dreaded hot flushes... this continued after stopping taking the medication and still has not returned to normal. I am mid 40's so would possibly expect the menopause at some point but the blood tests said no this was not the case. i still have that to look forward to! I also feel that it has shredded my immune system as I now have allergies that I did not have before and I have no idea what it is sometimes, I also have not felt physically well since i stopped taking it and am exhausted most of the time. These are side effects that don't seem to be listed anywhere and I think there is a lot more research to be done on this drug. When you actually look into what it first developed for you get an idea of how harcore it actually is. The fact that it temporarily cures had and foot eczema was a convenient side effect and it's use became more common in that field. I nwould be interested to hear of anynoe else it this situation where it has has a lasting effect.

WorldTraveller

by WorldTraveller on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I had never heard of toctino... I have hand eczema as well, but I'm afraid I can't take it because of the side effects. I'm 30 and I'm currently trying to get pregnant. It looks like it's very dangerous for the fetus... so :roll:

braaadepiitte

by braaadepiitte on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:23 pm

People try many treatments for eczema to relieve the itch. They use over-the-counter remedies they can get in a drugstore. They use prescription medications they get from their doctors. They even try an alternative eczema treatment, such as herbs. Still, one study found that many people are not satisfied with the effectiveness of their medications. They often say their medications:

97 posts