Methotrexate, Cellcept and Xolair?

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
figgymyson

by figgymyson on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:55 am

Re: methotrexate, cellcept, and xolair?

Hi,

I'm in exactly the same situation as yourself. I've also been struggling with facial eczema for just over two years. I initially tried cyclosporin and although it was working I broke out in an allergic rash and had to be taken off it. This appears to be the immunosuppressant of choice amongst dermatologists in England. Apparently it is tolerated better than the others. I guess I was just unlucky. I'm just about to be put on Methotrexate myself. My derm reckons the drug is well tolerated but is prescribed less as patients need to limit or cut out alcohol comsumption whilst on it etc etc. Everyone will react differently to varying medications. A friend of mine has taken Methotrexate for an athritic condition and has never had any problems. Cellcept is never really mentioned that much in England. Not sure why.

figgymyson

by figgymyson on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:20 am

Outsiders,

Just thought I'd update you with my situation after my latest dermatologist visit. Ironically after your last post I have decided to start taking Cellcept. My derm offered me the choice between this and Methotrexate which he said was generally more reliable. Despite this I thought Cellcept seemed the better option for me as I would still be able to have the odd alcoholic drink. You might think this sounds daft but if I am going to be on this for a long time the less restrictions the better as far as I am concerned. Anyway I started taking it yesterday and I will keep you updated witrh my progress.

Rich

figgymyson

by figgymyson on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:28 am

I'm on the same dose as you. The derm said it could take a few weeks to start working so a week is probably too early. You might just have a bit of a cold anyway - it's often easy to blame every little thing on the medication you are taking. I'm three days in now and like yourself have not really noticed any real change in my skin. I have felt slightly more tired than usual and have had a bit of a headache but I think it will take a while for my body to get used to the medication.

Keep me updated.

Rich

figgymyson

by figgymyson on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Outsiders,

I was just wondering how you were getting on with your cellcept. Is it starting to work?

Thanks Rich

figgymyson

by figgymyson on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:51 am

It is starting to work slowly. I am still having to apply the protopic on the worst areas on my face but I feel more comfortable than I have done in a while. The derm did say it might take a good few weeks to work properly, especially as I have had my facial eczema non stop for a long time. I reckon you need to stick with it for a few weeks longer.

Keep in touch

Thans Rich

5 posts