METHOTREXATE

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

53 posts
georgiap67

by georgiap67 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: METHOTREXATE

Just found this forum! Would just like to say methotrexate has changed my life. I've had eczema since j was born and all of a sudden about 2 years ago it got very very bad. Had it from the bottom of my feet to the top of my head, I was absolutely covered! My quality of life plummeted, I couldn't work, I didn't want to go out, wearing clothes was uncomfortable, having a bath/shower was unbearable. I was finally referred to a dermatologist and he recommended methotrexate. As I was only 17 at the same my mum and I had a chat about this as obviously he had to outline the effects that methotrexate could have. We decided that the benefits outweighed the possible side effects and I started on 10mg. I gradually increased the dosage and I am now on 18mg a week. I thought they weren't going to work for me after 3 months with no change. I had given up hope reading reviews online with some people saying they noticed change within a few weeks. All of a sudden one week I realised that I hadn't been scratching as much. I hadn't had a flare up for a week or so. The next week I had a flare up and thought I was back to square one so was very upset. I monitored my excema and realised that 2 flare ups a week had gone down to 2 a month. The flare ups got less and less and now after being on methotrexate for 6 months my skin is completely excema free. I do get the occasional itch but nothing like it used to be. I can have hot baths again and I now work full time and I am enjoying my life again. As for side effects, I have regular blood tests and have never had any problems with liver or my kidneys. I even drink sometimes too which you aren't supposed to do when taking this tablet. The only thing I find, is the day after taking the tablet I feel a little bit fuzzy/sick but it's nothing major. Hope everything goes well for you. :)

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:33 pm

Re: METHOTREXATE

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

53 posts