Do I have to wear cotton for life??

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

6 posts
klynn

by klynn on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:34 am

Do I have to wear cotton for life??

I am 23 years old and just found out this week I have eczema. It is NOT fun trying to find what makes it flare, but today I noticed my jacket was half cotton and half polyester and the inside of my elbows are SO itchy now. I really do not want to buy all new clothing if I don't have to do so. Any suggestions or input would be GREATLY appreciated.
K-lynn

Becky Dennis

by Becky Dennis on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Do I have to wear cotton for life??

Hi Lynn

I'm sorry that you find yourself with eczema and have been struggling.

I am no expert as i am new to this too (my daughter has just been diagnosed). But we were told to try to buy 100% cotton and if it can be organic cotton even better. I think it is meant to be kinder on the skin and hence make you less irritated.

I am sure some others here will have more advice. I just wanted to make sure you had a reply as i know it's BH weekend. I hope your skin will soon feel easier.

b

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 pm

I'd say 100% cotton next to the skin (or silk) so only wear the jacket with along sleeved top under it.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

HannahD

by HannahD on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:56 pm

I am wondering the same! Mine is not all over my body (only my hands really) but has recently begun to spread so I too am aware of this advice.
Can I just check as i'm always seeing avoid "colours" .. does this mean dress in light clothing and use all forms of material in a light colour?
Sorry to hijack your post if I have...
Obviously natural breathable fibres are best and while it isn't ideal to replace a wardrobe it isn't worth compromising your health :-)

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Most cotton clothes should be ok, but be careful with denim as the colour is not stable and the finishes used to get the various looks on denim may upset your skin.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Merran001

by Merran001 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:16 am

I think we'll find that long Tshirts in bamboo will be great in this situation, its beautiful to wear and the fibre is smoother than a cotton fibre, and it pulls moisture away from the skin more effectively than cotton. Be careful of anything which has been dyed as this chemical may still be present in the fabric.
Socks can be difficult to find in pure cotton, see forum "Where can I get 100% cotton school socks?" on this site

6 posts