anxiety problem?

If you are stressed or suffering from anxiety, please ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
bw30

by bw30 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:07 am

anxiety problem?

Hi
About 6 years ago I suffered from anorexia and have recovered fairly well but now I am constantly worried about everything. I worry about what I say,do, dont do, mistakes and wasting peoples time. I suffer from a permanent headache at the back of my skull with shoulder, neck tension and I grind my teeth. I see a counsellor, take an antidepressant and propranolol to help the headache but I feel nothing is helping and I am getting more and more fed up with myself and am regularly going to bed in the daytime just to get a break from all my thoughts. What else can I do?

Dr Trevor Friedman

by Dr Trevor Friedman on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 am

Re: anxiety problem?

Hi. The problems that you describe are very common. The medication that you have been prescribed does not seem to be helping. It does not sound like you are depressed and so it is not that surprising the medication has not helped. It sounds like you might have what is called Generalised Anxiety Disorder - where peole feel excessively anxious about a whole range of issues. Counselling is not normally effective for this and it would be worth considering cognitive behaviour therapy which should help you to deal with these unreasonable worries and your sensitivity to situations and other people. Your GP should be able to direct you for this help.
Dr Trevor Friedman
Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist
BSc MB BS FRCPsych

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... iedman.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your anxiety.

Rather than going to bed during the day to get away from your thoughts why not try going for a walk? Walking - especially in a 'green space' - releases endorphins and the 'happy hormone' serotonin. Not only that, getting up and doing something will help to take your mind off your worries.

Also you could try doing activities that you find absorbing and enjoyable - such as reading, knitting, painting, gardening, etc. again this will help to stop you brooding.

How is your diet? Do you eat a wide range of foods including wholegrains, chicken, oily fish, fruit and vegetables, including green leafy vegetables, low fat dairy foods, nuts and seeds? Such a diet will supply all the nutrients you need for a calm disposition. For example dairy foods supply calming calcium and green vegetables, nuts and seeds provide magnesium - 'nature's tranquiliser'.

Another tip you could try when you find yourself worrying about the future is to try to focus on the present and what is happening now - this is known as mindfulness. Worrying about things that haven't happened is a waste of energy.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

bw30

by bw30 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:29 am

Hi
In the past I have tried to go for a walk and have managed it once. Even after the walk I ended up going to bed I have very little motivation being at home limits any problems which can make me worry. My diet is a bit random. I tend to eat what I feel like it can be anything from a proper cooked meal or toast, biscuits, chocolate. I tend to go with it because it is better than not eating.
I do not tend to worry about the future I am so caught up in the everyday worries I cant even think about the future. I have found reading does help and have got through many a book this year.

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi,

I still feel that if you could keep yourself active and busy it would help you to stop worrying and also that improving your diet and taking regular exercise could help. I suggest you try these suggestions for at least 6 weeks and you may find that they do help you.

Best wishes and good luck,

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

5 posts