Anxiety? Panic Disorders?

If you are stressed or suffering from anxiety, please ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
andy_887

by andy_887 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 am

Anxiety? Panic Disorders?

Hello

I have been reading this site to try and determine what my problems are, and haven't really been able to discover the answers so I'm hoping someone here can help...

For a couple of years now I have had problems with excessive sweating and beating heart when it situations where I feel pressured - and often even when I don't / shouldn't. I have a very good job for which I have received two promotions within the last two years so it must not be affecting me too much on the outside, but on the inside it is starting to affect me on a daily basis. When I am asked to speak in front of senior people my heart seems to beat very quickly and my speech becomes broken. I also dread meeting new people incase I have to shake their hands with my sweaty palms, to the extent where I will worry about it for an hour or so before the meeting and then inevitably it becomes worse. No matter what I try to do to take my mind away from it, it doesn't work.

I am now beginning to experience other problems such as struggling to sleep at night. Just as I'm about to drift off I suddenly wake up having noticed myself thinking something quite ridiculous. I feel I have no control over these thoughts so it wakes me from worry. I've also started to experience the same during the day, it's as if my mind has completely wandered off onto some silly topic of it's own choosing. I often feel as if some bad thoughts are on the horizon but cannot explain why as I am generally a happy person. I'm just finding it very difficult to calm down at the minute and feel I would benefit a lot at work from being able to do so.

Please advise...!

Thank you for taking time to read this

Annette Boden - Counsellor

by Annette Boden - Counsellor on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 am

Re: Anxiety? Panic Disorders?

Hello
I saw from the time of your posting that you were awake into the early morning hours so I am also wondering if your sleep pattern has been interrupted for a while - this can impact on your anxiety levels. It is worth going and having a chat with your GP. I can recommend hypnotherapy for anxiety and sleep issues, and CBT both can help you overcome some of the issues around speaking publically as well. I am wondering whether there is any other stress in your life that you might not have thought of?
Annette Boden - Hypnotherapist, psychotherapist, Counsellor
MSc, BSc(Hons)Psychology, MBPsS, FNSHP, ADHP (NC) Adv.Dip THP (N-SHAP), Adv.Dip (NCHP), Member: CRAH; HA; HCB. UKCP registered hypno-psychotherapist. CNHC registered Hypnotherapist.

2 posts