Binge Eating

Please ask our experts here all your questions relating to eating disorders and/or body image.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
MrsCarter

by MrsCarter on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Binge Eating

I've been secretly binge eating since I was in my teens, I'm now 30 and I have a BMI of 32. I was diagnosed with depression when I was 17 but was just given medication that didn't really seem to help. I started seeing a therapist 2 years ago but don't feel like I've really gained anything from this. I really am at the end of my rope with everything. I know I need help and I need to change but I don't know where to go. And I find it such and insurmountable problem, I don't believe I'll ever be able to overcome it. I don't know whether to go to my GP and ask to be put on depression medication again even though it's done nothing for me before. I'm also thinking about trying Overeaters Anonymous metings but I don't know how I'd feel about 'believeing in a higher power'. I literally have no energy left to fight this any more. I just feel so awful all the time and can't get on with my life.

GeorgiePorge

by GeorgiePorge on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Binge Eating

Hi MrsCarter, I'm 26 and have been suffering fairly recently with binge eating brought on by depression and anxiety. I've always struggled with "normal" eating and have tended towards comfort eating and binge eating, but didn't really recognise it as that in the past.
My doctor has put me on Citalopram, I don't know if that's what you were on? But, there are lots of different types of anti-ds out there, some may work for you, some may not. Your doc should always follow up to see if what you're given is working, and if it's not then there should be a plan to up the dose or move on to something else.
For me, it has helped... mostly. I still get moments where I feel the need to shovel everything in sight into my mouth, but I need to learn how to deal with that, and that's where Mind come in. I registered with Mind around the first time I saw my doctor, and after a short wait (it's not too long if you can make an initial day time appointment) I was put on an online CBT course. I received weekly phone calls until I had completed the course, but still have access to the online facility and the course books for reference - in fact they are meant to be used over and over again to help you change your thinking and behaviour.
I don't know if this is similar to what you did, but I would recommend giving it a try.
Alternatively, if you cannot get an appointment with Mind, or would rather give it a go by yourself, you can buy the books online: http://www.fiveareas.com/resourcearea/i ... oductId=80 and you can register to the online course that accompanies the books here: http://www.llttf.com/

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Binge Eating

A medication called fluoxetine at highish doses, can help and definitely get someone to go with you to an OA meeting. Most people find some way of interpreting the Higher Power concept in a way that works for them. You sound depressed so advise see your GP as soon as possible - don't leave it.
Dr Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

3 posts