Struggling with disordered eating.

Please ask our experts here all your questions relating to eating disorders and/or body image.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
fairy_wings

by fairy_wings on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Struggling with disordered eating.

I sort of have eating issues and i am really struggling with them. I'm massively caught up in my disordered eating habits. I have been having therapy but I think it's fair to say that hasn't been very successful. I am struggling day-to-day juggling a full time stressful job around my eating. I do eat in the day, but no more than 500 -700 kcals in the day, which is probably why I struggle in the day. I also exercise a lot. If I miss a night of exercise I have to restrict/punish/or make up the exercise the next day. I'm permanently exhausted. About 7 months ago i lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time and became underweight - my BMI was under 18 then. but about 6 months ago i ate for about 7 weeks and my BMI is now about 21-22. I know my eating is affecting me - in the past 6 weeks Ive fainted 3 times but I think why would anyone believe me now I'm 'normal BMI' and I also think people are just giving up on me because I haven't recovered in a certain time-frame. Im depressed and tired.
I don't want to get up in the morning and drag myself through the days at work as I know it'll be the same slog through to restrict/purge/exercise. This just cant be a life worth living. I don't know really how to get better, and yet no one can do it apart from me. I feel really low and keep crying and not sleeping. My initial weight loss a year ago was sparked off from a period of depression and I feel really like I'm struggling again.

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Struggling with disordered eating.

Take courage from the fact you have been able to get yourself to eat before. Make a list of all the downsides to your undereating as that may help you stay focused on challenging the Anorexia. Its very difficult to do it all on your own and you'd have a better chance i suspect, if you sought some professional support again. Knowing what you need to do isn't enough - you need help following that through.
DR Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

2 posts